Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

Think About It!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Old 02-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Think About It!!!

Hey Ronnie:

I don't understand the Porsche bashing postings? I thought this is a Porsche Enthusiast Forum? If you don't like Porsches than find another Forum. I'm sick and tired of reading about how Corvettes are better and faster than Porsches in this forum and now you post this link. I come on this forum to read good stuff about Porsches and trade info with fellow Porsche lovers. I DON'T want to read negative stuff about Porsches on a PORSCH site.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 AM

I think this forum is about Porsche, whether you are dissing them or praising them. I don't view it as just a place to say only nice things and "worship" them.

That said, I disagree with the article. The 911 has evolved, but stayed true to form. IT HAS ALWAYS HAD A BACK SEAT, and been a 2+2 couple, not an out and out sports car but more of a GT. It seems to be an excellent, involving car, despite what the guy says - its just one man's opinon there and definately not mine.

As to the Cayenne, it was a very good business move for Porsche but maybe a poor product for it: time will tell. The Cayman - a good move: the Boxster and the Cayman are 2-seaters, different market niche - true sports cars as opposed to GTs: as the Ferrari 360 Modena was to the bigger GTs, etc.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

So the Corvette may be faster & better (in your opinion) than the 911, but there are faster & better cars (in my opinion) than the Corvette out there.

You Yanks have always been good at building muscle cars, but it's took you until now to build a good sports car! (One that will go around corners!)

For example, the T.V.R. Sagaris will beat the 911 & the Corvette around any track, and is cheaper than both also... but has it got the build quality of the Porsche? No. Has it got the extras of the 911 or Corvette? No, but thats not what it's about. The same can be said about the 911 and the Corvette, they are completly different types of sports car. (The 911 is a 2+2 for f**ks sake!)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1465/521118AC18AC4E61A11370199BB42B40.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 PM

Hey PR man:

I disagree with you. The Title of this Forum and website is "Porsche Enthusiast Forum" with an emphasis on enthusiast. Where is "dissing" in the title?

Old 02-11-2006, 12:22 AM

Fine, I like it that you disagree. But, on balance I agree with PR Man, I think this forum is for enthusiasts, whether they are enthusiastic about Porsches or about how much they dislike them. I'd ask for a little consideration and objectivity here. I like to hear and see comments like CtiggerPigglets, and mine, and PR Mans, and yours. I really like this forum because is does not workship Porsches, it just talks about them from all perspectives.

I've been on and then left a lot of forums -- what really turns my stomach is people who have blinders on about cars and have lost perspective about their car: no car is perfect, every one has flaws, and there is ALWAYS a faster, better car out there (just spend more money). But there are a lot of people who get caught up thinking their car is THE perfect car, and who, for some reason, seem to personalize their car with themselves: insult my car, insult me. These are the nuts --the Camaro owners who steadfastly insist that Camaros are the most wonderful car in the world, faster, better handling, more stylish than anything else. Some of them go beserk when you challenge the "greatness" of the Camaro.

I've liked this forum because it was not like that. No Porsche "nuts." Just owners and enthusiasts who love Porsches, warts and all, and for the most part are tolerant of other's opinions and can objectively look at the good and bad of all cars, including theirs, and who don't tie up their ego in their cars..

Porsches are good cars - I have one and know. Corvettes are good cars, too, damn good from some perspectives and nearly embarrassingly bad from others. And even Camaros have good points.

Apologies for getting on a soap box about this . . .

Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Lee:

I apologize to you and to anyone else I have offended. I do not care, nor at all mind if people post things that are considered negative about their Porsche, but do so in a way that brings a potential problem with a particular model to the forefront, so other Porsche owners can be on the lookout for the problem. I site your post today about the tire alignment problem. A post like that can only help other owners.

How does a post stating that a Corvette can beat a Porsche help the Porsche owner? What is the purpose of the post? To make the Porsche owner feel bad? To have the Porsche owner sell his car and get a vette? It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if a car, any car, has X more h.p., and is lighter or the same weight then the opposing Porsche car, then that car is going to win a race. That could be a vette, camaro, prizm, whatever, it is going to beat the Porsche. You were fortunate the other day when you beat the M3. Maybe your 320 h.p. was a little more than his ? h.p.

I have previously owned two corvettes. A 1964 rag top and a 1984 targa top. I both liked and hated these cars. As far as the quality aspect goes, Chevy was lacking this aspect. It seemed I was constantly repairing these cars. I'll give you a couple of examples: the 64 oil sump, which is press fit, fell out into the bottom of the oil pan one day while I was adjusting lifters. Result: a crack that ran from the top to the bottom of one of the cylinder walls. Trash one 327 block. The 84 blew a head gasket, the electronic instrument panel would not stay lit, the transmission went out, the antenna motor went out, etc. But, when these cars were running, good times and fun to drive! I know that Porsches and all other cars are the same way. They have their problems also. It is reading about and finding out about those problems that help other owners with their cars. Pure posts that just bash a car are of no help.

Now I'll get off my soapbox [sm=goodidea.gif]