Go Back  Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums > Porsche Models > Porsche 356
Reload this Page >

Porsche Speedster 356. A few questions need answering please?

Porsche 356 The Porsche 356 was a sports car sold from 1948 through 1965, and was Porsche's first production automobile.

Porsche Speedster 356. A few questions need answering please?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Default Porsche Speedster 356. A few questions need answering please?

I love these cars.
Can anyone tell me what the price range is for one?
And how old is this type of car? Like is it an old car or is it a recent one?

thankyou

Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM

These cars were made in the 1950s and into the early 1960s. The succeeded the 347 (very rare, very few were built). The 912s and 911s, which went on the market in the '64 timeframe, succeeded them. There were various models and variations of the 356 series over the years - Carrera, Super 90, Speedster, etc, in both coupe and convertible, with some slightly differences in body shape among each category, etc.

Cost? For a complete non-running wreck with all o most of the pieces, I imagine less than $12K in the worst condition. At the top end, probably over $100K for a rare model with a distinctive history and concours condition.

"I love these cars." Don't be certain. No offense but your questions indicate you don't know them well so you probably like the look of them and the romance of their lines and image. You may not like them at all in reality. 356s are basically heavily modified Volswagen Beetles - Back then, orsche was doing with Beatles something similar to what Panoz is doing with Mustangs today to produce its Esperanzas. The are easy to repair but the break down alot and the rust more than any other car. handling is treacherous when driven fast on quesitonable roads.
And these are roughly 50 year old cars: at their best (a last '63/64 final series with all the performance options) they are slow compared to any contemporary sports car (and most economy cars), have terrible brakes, vicious handling characteristics (snap oversteer), poor fuel economy even for a small car, and are rather uncomfortable compared to modern cars, and few if any safety features (basically, compared to even the least-safe 2011 model on the road, they are death trap).

If you like the look, you can buy new reproductions of these from one of two companies that look and seem just the same but are more modern in most ways. Price in the $30K - $40K range. I leave it to you to look through kit car magazines and google reserach that and find them. They they look vitually identical -- I've seen some and you can't tell, even from ten feet away, that they are not original. One company builds reproductions based on rebuilt/modified 70s Beetle platforms (roughly the same way Porsche did) that drives about like a mid-80s car. And the other builds its own frame and body that looks the same, but is much stronger, and used Suburu running gear (this car can keep up with Miatas, etc.)

Last edited by Lee Willis; 02-16-2011 at 11:01 AM.