Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/)
-   -   0-60 Times? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/0-60-times-5348/)

cmilam 03-01-2008 07:17 AM

0-60 Times?

I'd beinterested to hear from some of you 911 and Boxster owners, both stock and modified, of what kind of 0-60 times your pulling. I have a stock 02 911 Targa and was right at 5 seconds. Thanks:)

n2boatn 03-01-2008 09:10 PM

RE: 0-60 Times?

Good Question,I'll let you tommorrow eveing.

bryanc 03-02-2008 09:18 AM

consider a turbo... you will be a VERY happy driver![8D]

cmilam 03-02-2008 09:20 AM

Bryan--If I had the money I would have bought a Turbo. How's your 0-60 times?

bryanc 03-02-2008 12:26 PM

extremely fast... if i launch the car properly, it literally hooks instantly and before 2 seconds im already in 2nd gear... without showing off i consider myself a very experienced quarter mile driver.... i cant imagine 0-60 time higher than 4 seconds.... probably mid to high 3's the way i launch.

the key is the twin turbo's all wheel drive which literally sticks to the ground .. its actually quite fascinating how extremely responsive and fast is the car off the line...

ive had vipers, vettes, ferraris... this car is BY FAR the fastest off the line.

ORIGINAL: cmilam

Bryan--If I had the money I would have bought a Turbo. How's your 0-60 times?

cmilam 03-02-2008 12:56 PM

Whew! That's blazing. Thanks

Lee Willis 03-03-2008 12:04 PM

My '04 Tiptronic does 60 in about 5.5 seconds and the quarter in 13.5- 13.6 seconds, very consistently (no wheelspin ever on dry pavement).

I don't consider that fast, nor frankly do I think Porsches generally cut great 0-60 times compared to a lot of stuff out there (a stock 435HP base 'vette with 315 drag radials as the only aftermarket addition will kill just about anything off the line). Porsche, to me, is all about balance and handling.

For athrill in the quartermile, it is hard to beat a big modified American V8. My 'vette was an honest to God daily driver, but with the SC'd 427 would do 3.1 seconds on street tires (as modified, it could just hit 60 in second) on its way to a 10.2 quarter mile, and the Camaro does under 3 seconds easily on slicks (may seem improbable but do a little math -- that is what it takes to get through the quarter mile in 9.7 seconds).

Alot of big bikes are that fast, too.

cmilam 03-03-2008 12:50 PM

Lee--are you saying a stock Vet with 435hp can take a stock 911 Turbo with similar hpin the qtr mile and 0-60?

Lee Willis 03-05-2008 05:35 AM

It would be very close, with traction being the deciding factor for the stock 'vette. Good drag radials can help enough I'd bet more than even money on the ;vette.If GM releases the launch control they are playing with (for the LS9 version) in the base model it might help it go sub 4 seconds to 60, it has the torque, at least if geared right.

It is worth noting that more power will not help a 'vette go better 60 times. The ZO6 model does better on paper (in a road test) but that is because it is geared to do 0-60 without a shift (tops out at 61 in first) - more power just doesn't help a vette cut sixty times once it gets into below four seconds 0-60 -- it takes all those various traction "tricks," drag radials at the least, or, as I did on my 'vette, the smallest diameter rear wheels with the widest (345) drag radials (rationale being to get wide sidewalls to wind up like a drag slick), or if you are an extremist, running true drag slicks on the street.

I think about 200-225 HP per wheel is all one can put through modern steet tires and road suspensions, so 'vette's won't cut better 0-60 times until GM decides to get real and go to 4-wheel drive. I dont' expect that until they go hybrid with the 'vette (which will be a while, but i am confident they will, eventually: too much to gain).

I have not driven a completely stock '08 'vette, but I have drivenone of the new, base LS3435 HP, manual six speed ones with LT headers as the only mod (still had the cats and stock exhaust) and BFG 315 drag radials and I've also sampled a stock 997 Turbo. The 'vette felt edger and much nastier on the street -- long tube headers tend to wake up LS engines and give them even more low end torque and throttle response -- really make it a great street ride. My son did a 60 foot of 1.66 and a ET of 12.0 in that car. By contrast the Turbo felt very balanced and precise, ratherfast off the line, building smoothly, but the rush, and the feel that it was an exceptionally powerful car, didn't start 'til about 50 mph.

I'll add an edit here out of good conscience: drag radials are a very good way to really cut 60 times, whether you mean 0-60 mph or 60 foot times at the track, and they are streetable. Inflated to only about 20 lbs or so, they bite noticeably better than anything stock and ride much better than true slicks (plus they fit rims that will clear stock rear brakes). But they have their downsides. First, they do corner very well (they are wide, sticky, etc.) but they have lousy transietn handling behavior - you get an initial hestiation on turn in, then brief and nasty oversteer, followed by serious understeer, and when they break loose, they do so with little warning. Second, they can't handle any rain-- they hydroplane on a just a wet (no standing water) road (I'm serious, not exaggerating) at just 25 mph. Third, you will get only 4000 miles per set of $300+ tires.

cmilam 03-05-2008 07:53 PM

Thanks Lee. I heard they are coming out with a new Camero. Have you heard anything?

Lee Willis 03-05-2008 08:15 PM

I have a warm spot in my heart for Camaros, as my first new car was a '68 Camaro V8. I have a small deposit down on one of the new ones at my local Chevy dealer -- told the salesman any early model with a big V8 will do-- and will see what happens. I don't expect it to be a world class car, but fun, and not expensive by any means, so why not?

cmilam 03-05-2008 08:56 PM

A guy that works for me said he was interested in buying one, are they coming out in 09?

Lee Willis 03-06-2008 07:46 AM

Supposedly later this year as an '09 model.

cmilam 03-06-2008 07:10 PM

Looking forward to seeing it on your inventory.

bryanc 03-09-2008 07:09 PM

theres one main problem with the vettes/vipers/other american cars.... YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO LAUNCH PROPERLY! as far as im concerned, no car out there can launch as fast as an AWD twin turbo period!

Lee Willis 03-09-2008 08:21 PM

Four wheel drive provides a tremendous advantage, and the Porsche Turbo (the 911, or for that matter, the Cayenne Turbo) has it, as did the Mitsi 3-liter turbo of several years ago (good car, easy to drive, underrated in my book) and the current Evos and STIs, also nice cars. Four wheel drive gives incredible off the line times, and good times all the way to 60 mph, but ultimately those cars, even the Porsche Turbo,fade pretty quickly for sheer lack power.

My 'vette could break the rear wheels (345 section drag radials) loose at any speed up to the torque peak in third gear -- a bit over 80 mph, without dropping the clutch -- just floor it and the tires smoked. It was phenomenal, and fun, if a bit scary at times. What I loved most, however, was 500+ ft lbs of torque just off idle (full throttle of course, to get that much). It was just sooooo powerful at low RPM, and it only got worse as RPM built.

Launching it was damn difficult, yes, but my youngest son had the knack and got it under 10 seconds in the quarter a couple of times, when all I could do was very low tens. But the rush once it got going was phenomenal. Nothing,just nothingcould pull like it or give you the sheer sensation of "Gods own torque curve." My Camaro can do faster quarter miles because it lifts the front wheels and just catapults off the line, but the 'vette was the best I've ever seenabove 80 mph. It had 100 mph on my Carrera -- basically it pulled as hard at 100 as my Carrera does off the line: from 100 to 130 in less than 2 seconds.

By that measure, a stock Turbo isn't even in the game. Overall, though, I would prefer 4-wheel drive to 200 extra HP in anything. It makes the car so controlable, so easy to launch -- and let's face it. There are very few times where you can enjoy the fact that your car can accelerate from 100 to 150 quickly.

I loved the 'vette, but I let it go and moved on. Not sure to what though. I have a deposit on a GT40, but on the other hand, my local Porsche/Jag dealer has a Continental GTwith less than 10K on its lot . . . plan to look at that in the next day or two.

bryanc 03-10-2008 10:26 AM

if you have the budget and considering a bentley, i suggest looking at the DB9's instead.

Lee Willis 03-10-2008 03:56 PM

Yeah, I liked Astons, but the Bentley is a bit more luxurious and easier to get in and out of, and the interior of recent Astons is pretty "modern" whereas the Bentley is rather traditional, which I like.

But I think I will let the Bentley go, too. Went by and looked at it today. Gorgeous and in perfect shape. Two and a half years old, 9k miles, $119K with a bit of factory warranty left.I'm not wealthy but I could afford it, but I just don't think an 11 mpg car is proper in this world now -- that's half what my Carrera gets and I've actually been thinking it is not that great is a world where my buddy Prius can get 36. And having that $125K (with taxes) in the bank just feels better, too.

cmilam 03-10-2008 09:29 PM

Back to the original question....how's everyone's 0-60 time? Any takers any cars?

Lee Willis 03-11-2008 05:30 AM

Best I ever heard verified by a credible source for a street car was Motor Trend' test of the Lingenfelter twin-turbo 427 back about 4 years ago, a car rated by Ling at 800-850 HP: they got 0-60 in 2 seconds and the quarter mile in 9.2 seconds on slicks. I don't know how they did it - it was the same basic engine as in my vette, twin turbo rather than Procharger but both at around 10 lbs boost and 700-750 rwhp. I could never get mine anywhere near 2.0, but then I did not have all of Ling's modified suspension components on the rear, only their modified shock tower kits and reinforced half shafts

A very good firiend just picked up a new(2200 miles) Caymen S that does about 4.8 seconds to 60 using a calibrated G-Tech monitor.

cmilam 03-11-2008 09:57 AM

Sounds more like a jet engine to me!

Big Bob 03-11-2008 11:25 AM

Hi
With my 3.6 996, with Revo Chip, Supersprint Exhaust System, and Fab Speed Air Intake, I embarrasses a 997 Carrera 2S - so I'm on 4.7-4.8. Regards Big Bob

Lee Willis 03-11-2008 03:09 PM

I've seen completely stock 997 Carrera S models do 0-60 in 4.3-4.4(by radar gun) at the track. There is essentially no difference between them and a stock '08 vette, the 'vette has more torque but it spins its wheel a lot more.

So you're 996 is doing better than 4.8, which I think is pretty close to stock for a 6-speed version of the final model.

Big Bob 03-12-2008 02:46 PM

Thanks Lee
I suspect that I will never get the best time, so it might be better than I quote, sayin the hands of a single minded person. Having rebuilt and nursed many nice cars over the years, I find I do not have the killer instinct to extract the maximum out of the engine, clutch, transmission , and chassis. It always sounds like mechanical butchery to me I'm afraid!
All I know is the 997 2S Driver looked a bit sick![:'(]
I've buddy of mine who is a paraplegic, who drives a Bentley Continental GT with "hand controls" which has just been changed to the GTC. Last year after Le Manswe had an interesting drag out with a Ferrari 430, again the Ferrari driver was not too happy
Best Regards Big Bob

cmilam 03-12-2008 05:31 PM

Optimizing your launch has a lot to do with the driver. I've noticed my time go down over the years.