Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

0-60 Times?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Default 0-60 Times?

I'd beinterested to hear from some of you 911 and Boxster owners, both stock and modified, of what kind of 0-60 times your pulling. I have a stock 02 911 Targa and was right at 5 seconds. Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Default RE: 0-60 Times?

Good Question,I'll let you tommorrow eveing.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM

consider a turbo... you will be a VERY happy driver![8D]

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Bryan--If I had the money I would have bought a Turbo. How's your 0-60 times?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 PM

extremely fast... if i launch the car properly, it literally hooks instantly and before 2 seconds im already in 2nd gear... without showing off i consider myself a very experienced quarter mile driver.... i cant imagine 0-60 time higher than 4 seconds.... probably mid to high 3's the way i launch.

the key is the twin turbo's all wheel drive which literally sticks to the ground .. its actually quite fascinating how extremely responsive and fast is the car off the line...

ive had vipers, vettes, ferraris... this car is BY FAR the fastest off the line.

ORIGINAL: cmilam

Bryan--If I had the money I would have bought a Turbo. How's your 0-60 times?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Whew! That's blazing. Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM

My '04 Tiptronic does 60 in about 5.5 seconds and the quarter in 13.5- 13.6 seconds, very consistently (no wheelspin ever on dry pavement).

I don't consider that fast, nor frankly do I think Porsches generally cut great 0-60 times compared to a lot of stuff out there (a stock 435HP base 'vette with 315 drag radials as the only aftermarket addition will kill just about anything off the line). Porsche, to me, is all about balance and handling.

For athrill in the quartermile, it is hard to beat a big modified American V8. My 'vette was an honest to God daily driver, but with the SC'd 427 would do 3.1 seconds on street tires (as modified, it could just hit 60 in second) on its way to a 10.2 quarter mile, and the Camaro does under 3 seconds easily on slicks (may seem improbable but do a little math -- that is what it takes to get through the quarter mile in 9.7 seconds).

Alot of big bikes are that fast, too.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Lee--are you saying a stock Vet with 435hp can take a stock 911 Turbo with similar hpin the qtr mile and 0-60?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:35 AM

It would be very close, with traction being the deciding factor for the stock 'vette. Good drag radials can help enough I'd bet more than even money on the ;vette.If GM releases the launch control they are playing with (for the LS9 version) in the base model it might help it go sub 4 seconds to 60, it has the torque, at least if geared right.

It is worth noting that more power will not help a 'vette go better 60 times. The ZO6 model does better on paper (in a road test) but that is because it is geared to do 0-60 without a shift (tops out at 61 in first) - more power just doesn't help a vette cut sixty times once it gets into below four seconds 0-60 -- it takes all those various traction "tricks," drag radials at the least, or, as I did on my 'vette, the smallest diameter rear wheels with the widest (345) drag radials (rationale being to get wide sidewalls to wind up like a drag slick), or if you are an extremist, running true drag slicks on the street.

I think about 200-225 HP per wheel is all one can put through modern steet tires and road suspensions, so 'vette's won't cut better 0-60 times until GM decides to get real and go to 4-wheel drive. I dont' expect that until they go hybrid with the 'vette (which will be a while, but i am confident they will, eventually: too much to gain).

I have not driven a completely stock '08 'vette, but I have drivenone of the new, base LS3435 HP, manual six speed ones with LT headers as the only mod (still had the cats and stock exhaust) and BFG 315 drag radials and I've also sampled a stock 997 Turbo. The 'vette felt edger and much nastier on the street -- long tube headers tend to wake up LS engines and give them even more low end torque and throttle response -- really make it a great street ride. My son did a 60 foot of 1.66 and a ET of 12.0 in that car. By contrast the Turbo felt very balanced and precise, ratherfast off the line, building smoothly, but the rush, and the feel that it was an exceptionally powerful car, didn't start 'til about 50 mph.

I'll add an edit here out of good conscience: drag radials are a very good way to really cut 60 times, whether you mean 0-60 mph or 60 foot times at the track, and they are streetable. Inflated to only about 20 lbs or so, they bite noticeably better than anything stock and ride much better than true slicks (plus they fit rims that will clear stock rear brakes). But they have their downsides. First, they do corner very well (they are wide, sticky, etc.) but they have lousy transietn handling behavior - you get an initial hestiation on turn in, then brief and nasty oversteer, followed by serious understeer, and when they break loose, they do so with little warning. Second, they can't handle any rain-- they hydroplane on a just a wet (no standing water) road (I'm serious, not exaggerating) at just 25 mph. Third, you will get only 4000 miles per set of $300+ tires.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks Lee. I heard they are coming out with a new Camero. Have you heard anything?

Quick Reply: 0-60 Times?