Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa project

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Default 1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa project

I just purchased a 1980 Porsche SC Targa as a project car this week and have a few questions for you guys. First off, I come from the MR2 world and have been a part of it for almost 10 years and am a fully capable hobby mechanic at home with a full shop.

A little background on the car, the guy I bought it from, bought it to restore it and at that time, was running just fine. As it turned out, he didn't have time for the project and didn't get around to doing anything to it for 4 years and has since decided to sell it to me for a killer deal.

As with most cars that sit for an extended amount of time, I understand that there is going to be issues. I know the battery and tires will most likely need to be replaced. I also believe I will need to pull the fuel tank to clean it out and run a cleaner through the fuel lines. I do know I will need to give it a full tuneup to include the distributor cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, radiator flush, oil change, air filter.

1.) Is there anything else you guys would think to check out before starting her up?

2.) *stupid question* pay no attention to this.....

3.) What type of cleaner should I run through the fuel lines to clean them out?

4.) It is missing a headlight bezel, the metal piece that holds the headlight on, any idea where I can find one? I checked ebay but found nothing.

5.) The interior is pretty much a wreck, I am of course going to scrub it down as much as possible however I am sure I will need to replace some upholstery starting with the carpet, is there a recommended online carpet manufacturer specific to porsche that you guys recommend?

6.) Is there anything else I should check before trying to start her up?

7.) Is there a place on here or another site that has a list of DIY projects for my model/year Porsche?

8.) Does the transmission have a filter and is it difficult to change the fluid in it?

Thank you in advanced for your time and opinions. I look forward to jumping into this project next weekend once I pick her up this coming week.

Last edited by Phoenix; 12-16-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Hey man, I live in chandler and super interested in your project. Would love to learn some things. You have pics of the project or anything?

Send me a message. I have been looking all over Craigslist for a similar project, maybe you have some references for me.

Thanks!