Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

2006 911 Carrera Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Default 2006 911 Carrera Suspension

My request is probably blasphemy to other Porsche owners. I have a perfect 2006 911 Coupe with 10600 miles. I love the car, except for two issues: tight seats (older person growing wider) and the ride. On a smooth highway, the car performs admireably. But with any irregularity, tar strips, etc. the ride is joilting. The sound crashes through the car. A vehicle of this cost and quality should not be like this. I recently drove a new 911 S coupe....a great car, but the pounding ride is still there, along with the tinny reverberation through the entire body.

Now I don't need a flood of responses stating that this is what Porsches do, dummy. That's what makes them handle so well, etc.

I'm hoping some one out there has found a combination of suspension/tires that will remedy this problem.

There are an abundance of companies that offer parts that have just the opposite effect of my desired end. They make the car lower, handle quicker, better turn in. That's not what I want.

Hoping to find a cure, but don't tell me to buy a Buick.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

I understand where you are comming from, but I'm not sure you'll be abel to cure this quality of ride on a Porsche.

Did you test drive sports cars before buying your Porsche? (I mean a really good test drive?)

There isn't really much point in owning a sports car if you can't put up with the harsh ride quality. They all have it. (It's like buying a sports car and complaining that there isn't much boot space.)

The best way that you could maybe improve on the ride quality is to fit smaller diameter wheels and tyres with a higher sidewall. This may or may not be possible with your Porsche as the smaller wheels would have to fit over the brake calipers/discs.

I'm sorry if this isn't much help, but I think you answered your own question...to go buy another car more suited to your needs.

Kev.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks for your response. I was sure that would be feedback, but one can always hope.

mking

Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MICHAEL KING
. . . don't tell me to buy a Buick.
Actually, I was thinking an Aston Martin Vantage or DB-9. Both ride much better and the Vantage (lighter of the two) actually handles just slightly better than a recent 911 does (at least my '07 Aston did) - its the true wishbone suspension rather than struts up front that allows the better ride and good handling.