Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

2008 Carerra 4S Power Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Default 2008 Carerra 4S Power Kit

Anyone know anything about the optional power kit? I am thinking about having it installed on my 2008 Carerra 4S. Is it worth the $16K? Is there a supercharger that can be installed otherwise?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Default RE: 2008 Carerra 4S Power Kit

Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} There are a lot of negative comments, mainly about the price of X51. Some people out there think that it's the world’s most expensive re-chip. Wrong. I have driven both 997 4S's.I have a 2008 997 X51 cabrio. X51 adds another dimension to the experience. The power and torque curves don't reflect the difference in feel. The mid-range and top end acceleration is much stronger (greater elasticity). The hardware changes are PSE, carbon fibre airbox, ignition tuning, revised cylinder heads with bigger exhaust ports (44mm vs 42mm?? me thinks), new exhaust headers, camshafts with more aggressive profiles, a different Varioram intake plenum, and new programming for the Bosch Motronic engine. The valves are gas filled and cranks titanium alloy. If anybody has the exact technical specifications, I would appreciate them. The exhaust sound has me in rapture, a deep guttural growl moving to a soprano when it winds out. The sound and power scares the crap out of any unsuspecting passenger, even burley hairy chested dozer operators. You can’t but help permanently leave it on Sport mode. It has character too, with raw spluttering every now and again when you decelerate and when you move off. The sound is probably greater as I have a cabrio (even with top up). It is the epitome of the 911 (for the road). I love the GT3 and this would be my pick but I wanted the back seats otherwise I couldn't enjoy being with my family too. I'll qualify that, no family on board when it's time to feed the throttle. The X51 is the closest you can get to the GT3 with Porsche approved back seats. The turbo is wickedly fast but to me lacked the feel/sound. I struggled with the decision but definitely made the best choice for me. The sound of the NA car, power delivery and greater rev range wins me.A supercharger is intriguing but I would be concerned about the life of the engine with stresses that it isn’t designed for and warranty considerations. I figure if you take that route, get a lighter car for the track. I checked out a 997 RSR last week which showed me how hard core you can go. 30 hours engine life before it’s back to Germany!! It’s only a matter of how deep your pockets are. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} It’s nice to make the comparison from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Apologies to all... Looks like cutting and pasting from Word has hidden characters. Clean copy below...
There are a lot of negative comments, mainly about the price of X51. Some people out there think that it's the world's most expensive re-chip. Wrong. I have driven both 997 4S's. I have a 2008 997 X51 cabrio. X51 adds another dimension to the experience. The power and torque curves don't reflect the difference in feel. The mid-range and top end acceleration is much stronger (greater elasticity). The hardware changes are PSE, carbon fibre airbox, ignition tuning, revised cylinder heads with bigger exhaust ports (44mm vs 42mm?? me thinks), new exhaust headers, camshafts with more aggressive profiles, a different Varioram intake plenum, and new programming for the Bosch Motronic engine. The valves are gas filled and cranks titanium alloy. If anybody has the exact technical specifications, I would appreciate them. The exhaust sound has me in rapture, a deep guttural growl moving to a soprano when it winds out. The sound and power scares the crap out of any unsuspecting passenger, even burley hairy chested dozer operators. You can't but help permanently leave it on Sport mode. It has character too, with raw spluttering every now and again when you decelerate and when you move off. The sound is probably greater as I have a cabrio (even with top up). It is the epitome of the 911 (for the road). I love the GT3 and this would be my pick but I wanted the back seats otherwise I couldn't enjoy being with my family too. I'll qualify that, no family on board when it's time to feed the throttle. The X51 is the closest you can get to the GT3 with Porsche approved back seats. The turbo is wickedly fast but to me lacked the feel/sound. I struggled with the decision but definitely made the best choice for me. The sound of the NA car, power delivery and greater rev range wins me. A supercharger is intriguing but I would be concerned about the life of the engine with stresses that it isn't designed for and warranty considerations. I figure if you take that route, get a lighter car for the track. I checked out a 997 RSR last week which showed me how hard core you can go. 30 hours engine life before it's back to Germany!! It's only a matter of how deep your pockets are. It's nice to make the comparison from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:14 AM

I thought about upgrading my 99 cabriolet for more power but was talked out of it and was recommended to just go with a turbo model for the horepower I wanted. Best decison I ever made! The difference is night and day between the two as far as power. Then if you want go with the mods on a turbo, you'll have a true and reliable supercar!! Just test drive a turbo modle you'll see what I mean

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

I appreciate the upgrade to the 996TT is a big step from the '99 996. The 997 turbo is a much different beast again. It depends on how you like your power to come on. I have driven the 996TT and 997S from 0 to 220 kmph, to me the acceloration feels similar, appreciating lag. Beyond that it is academic. Only later did I experience the X51 compared to the 4S without. The issue really is what are you after, something with bottom end acceleration, mid-range or top-end grunt, the sound to go with it?? Turbo is not for everyone. GT3 is my pick. Money aside, X51 is the next best thing. You should read GT Purely Porsche comparison of GT3 vs GT3RS vs C2S X51 vs Turbo, months ago, sorry don't have back issue number. I always wondered what the differences and it drove me insane. This is quasi-scientific so it may help you.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM

This extremely rare wide bodied 911 is finished in Atlas Grey and trimmed with full black leather extended to the doors and dash. Options include PCM satellite navigation, 19" Carrera S alloys, Porsche X51 Power kit (compromising of a modified cylinder head, new intake and exhaust manifolds, an uprated engine management system,