Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

6 pack webers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Default 6 pack webers

Hello- I am new here and a former MBZ owner- Finally moved on up- I got a 1977 911S and I have 6 webers...I want to hear from any experienced people- In the morning when cold she stumbles and pops until she catches or warms alittle...at driving sometimes...the pop is there but a hesitation at around 2500 rpm for a sec...then if I nail the gas- the car kind of gets into it then all hell breaks loose...regardless- is ther a special way to tune the webers or does it have to got to the shop? THanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Well, the last time I tangled with tuning something like that was a 3 x 2 barrel set on a six cylinder Alfa, maybe 30+ years ago. They are intricate and complex devices in and of themselves, and just damn difficult when in packs of two or more. We used tools I doubt are easy to find now (a little jig to check/coordinate linkages and type of intake barometer) to synchronize them, etc., and we got it right eventually but it could take hours, including several test drives.

I'd recommend taking it to a shop instead of trying it yourself, except I would not have confidence in just any shop to have someone who knew who to do that: I'd call around and ask.

If this set did not come on the car originally, you might bear in mind that aftermarket Weber kits of long ago tended to over-carb the engine a bit or more than a bit - fine for high RPMS (particularly with an aftermarket cam) but it often resulted in poor warm up and a bit of spitting back through the carbs occasionally, even when warm, at low RPMs. [particulary when the engine was lukewarm.