Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

996 Turbo - adding more power ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Default 996 Turbo - adding more power ...

Anyone have simple ways of getting more horses from a 996 turbo?

Does a K&N add anything
Does the engine automatically increase boost and timing with 100 octane fuel
etc etc ... I'm open to ideas...

Thanx

Old 11-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Default RE: 996 Turbo - adding more power ...

I know there are kits to add more power to the Turbos by increasing boost, etc, but I don't know any details. I see lots of ads in 911 magazine, etc.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Easiest way to get horsepower with a TT is a GIAC flash tune (Roughly 60hp/70tq), coupled with an Evo motorsports fresh air intake (We have done extensive testing with the evo intake, and it netted roughly 15hp alone). K&N filters really don't do alot by themselves. The engine will not increase boost relative to octane. You can go to a GIAC dealer and get flashed, or pull the ECU and send it to us and we can bench flash it and send it back....instant horsepower.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 PM

I would start with the K&N products and then the Exhust! Of course PORSCHE DOC is right on the money with his advice...

Old 11-06-2005, 03:46 PM

In the past I've had bad experiences with 'reprogramming' the ECU. All I ever got was constant detonation (pinging) and no noticeable power increase. Now these were done on other cars, like Mustangs etc - not a 996TT. Add to the fact I live in Vegas, where seeing 115 degrees in summer is like rain in Seattle... and this adds to the problem.

How does reprogramming give me more power - without all the negative complications...?

Appreciate your comments and feedback... I'm learning. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Tuning motronics is nothing like the simple maps of the domestic breeds. It takes over 100 man hours to program the initial settings on the 996TT and that is only after a computer has generated the original starting maps. There are 2700 maps in the motronics 7.2 and 7.8. The systems are far smarter than 90% of the ECU in other cars on the market. The system senses any change and will switch to the appropriate map based on octane requirement without issue. We have cars running in Saudi Arabia, Arab States, Australia, AZ, NM, and Nevada with no issues. Our programs are set for a specific octane with all of the original adaptive control. As long as one observes the required octane the car will see no issues what so ever. Most of our dynos are conducted in the dead of summer on normal pump gas. In fact our test car makes 802HP and was again confirmed this year (1 year later) in the middle of KS July. This is our 100 degree month. Still on pump gas with no issues. We guarantee our product for life and have flashed more ECUs on TTs than anyone in the industry.

The long and short of it is we retune the VE tables, Map offset, injector PW and add some boost. It is a package, not just timing or boost. Several components need to be changed in order to retain the changes with out over stepping the cars ability to maintain that given HP level. The system is flashed verses soldered. This is how the factory loads the ecu, this is how we load. Many still solder which clearly shows the lack of understanding all aspects of these cars. Not all performance packages are created equal. We do it as the factory would and guarantee our results.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 AM

OK so how much would the 'flash-tune' cost and will it affect the warranty in any way? And that will give an additional 60hp - correct?

Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Our 996TT Stage I kit runs $2349.00, and i looked up the numbers, typical gains are 78hp and 74ft/lbs of torque for the TT. Another $695 includes a evolution motorsports airbox and filter, which will add 15hp and 15ft/lbs of torque to the wheels. That's roughly 30 bucks a horsepower, which is as cheap as you will find. It will not affect your warranty in any way, there have been a couple of lawsuits out there that protect the consumer against warranty denial. With the hundreds of 996's we have flashed, we have never had any warranty work denied on any of the cars. The law states that unless the dealer can prove without a doubt that the modification (whether it be exhaust, intake, rims, etc) caused the failure of which the warranty work is being claimed on, then they can not deny the work. We also offer a handheld switcher (another $350), so that with a push of a button, you can put the car back to "stock ecu" mode if you ever feel the need when taking it back to the dealer. The dealer can not see any performance file then. You literally plug it into the OBDII port (under the steering wheel dash), and push the "stock" button or the "performance" button depending on what you want, and in about 5 seconds, you have switched the ECU program.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:40 PM

OK. Well I'll consider it. I'd definetly get the handheld. In my opinion, if you are changing boost, then the manufacturer has every right to void warranty. How can they be held responsible for someone else messing with such fine tuning. If I were them, I'd take responsibility for my tuning, but not someone else. Especially when boost, fuel supply and timing are critical to determining engine life.