Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Default Advice

I have a 1984 Carrera that is going to need a fair amount of work or a new home.</P>

Needs include a transmission rebuild, new clutch, new climate control. I'd like a new headliner, reupholstered seats and an engine rebuild. If I do all that I'd like, I'd have put around $ 11,000 into a "new" 1984 911. Current mileage is 168,000, of which I've done 40,000 in a bit over two years, 90% on I-95. The car is my first 911 and I love every minute in it. If I keep the car, and do the work, I want it to last as a daily driver for the next 8 years. </P>

This sounds a impossible, but at least one owner/racer mechanic that I knowsays "sure!" The mechanic who does most ofthe work on this carsays he likes the car but he can't predict the future. I can't see selling this car and putting the 20k or so into a similar age 911 with it's own problems. If my 911 can't go on, it's back to a SAAB and wait for the cash flow to change, hopefully before 2015.</P>

Advice?</P>

Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Advice

my advice is to take out the engine and send it to motor miesters, theyll do a complete overhaul and add any performance stuff you want, its usually around 3 to 5k to have them rebuild an engine but its worth it, as for thew tranny just do it yourself, buy an overhaul/rebuild manual and just rebuild it yourself, it will be easy to take of because your gonna have to drop it with the engine, and you can buy a clutch kit and install it when you get the engine and tranny done, most of the interior can be purchased at a reasonable price from performance products, another major thing that might need done is top do away with CIS if it is equipped and change it over to a motronic setup, in the end youll have anywhere from 8 to 12k in a like new carrera, its up to you to decide whether its worth it or not