Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Default Battery

I need a new battery.
I've heard strange things can happen when disconnecting the battery, i.e. the car 're-learning' itself etc., is there anything I should be weary of?
What's the best battery & battery maintainer to go for.
Optima Red Top & BatteryMINDer have been suggested.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Default RE: Battery

I have a 996 version 1999 Porsche. I just changed my battery, no problem. All I had to do is recode the radio. i do not think you will have a problem.

Some times the newer Feraris have trouble but it is very rare. Go to Sears and relax.

Lee

Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Correct, you may have to enter the radio code after you switch the battery. Look to see if this code is in your manuals (should be on a card), then change the battery if you have it. If you do not have it, then you will need to get a charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter, which will keep enough juice flowing while you swap batteries.

I would stay away from red top optimas. I have seen a lot fail. If you are stuck on an optima, get a yellow top.

Porsche batteries are junk. You can also pick up a group 48 battery from any auto parts store and swap it out. You will need a 10mm wrench for the terminals, and a 13mm wrench for the tie down.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

Correct, you may have to enter the radio code after you switch the battery. Look to see if this code is in your manuals (should be on a card), then change the battery if you have it. If you do not have it, then you will need to get a charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter, which will keep enough juice flowing while you swap batteries.

I would stay away from red top optimas. I have seen a lot fail. If you are stuck on an optima, get a yellow top.

Porsche batteries are junk. You can also pick up a group 48 battery from any auto parts store and swap it out. You will need a 10mm wrench for the terminals, and a 13mm wrench for the tie down.
My car has been sitting for over a month with a dead battery and I'm just waiting for the replacement battery. Just a question, if the car sits with a dead battery, does the alternator go bad if it sits without being started?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: jettsmooth

My car has been sitting for over a month with a dead battery and I'm just waiting for the replacement battery. Just a question, if the car sits with a dead battery, does the alternator go bad if it sits without being started?
Huh? No.

I've disconnected my battery a few times with nothing needing to be input; did on both a '07 & '08 997. Porsche will warranty the battery, but only if you meet certain criteria (drive the car 6000 miles a year, wear brown penny loafers and can guess the weight of the sales manager within 4 lbs). It's not worth it - buy a battery and be done with the one from the factory. Your dealer willsell you a battery tender for about $100 - it lists for more but trust me, they will discount it. My service guy recommends Interstate batteries.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks for answering. I already ordered an interstate battery. Just waiting for it to come in. Hope it starts right up once I put it in.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM

is there instructions on changing the battery anywhere? i can not find them on this forum... my battery is dead.

i also do not have the lock code for my radio... should i be concerned?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM

so i went to autozone and bought the battery. I installed it no problem. It did not have a hookup for the ventilation hose. The gauge looked fine but then after 30 minutes of driving the needle went down... halfway in between the 12 and 10. The battery light came on and a message came up saying "warning: battery/generator".

Help

thanks