Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Bike Rack for 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Default Bike Rack for 996?

As a cyclist with a '03 Carrera, I'm looking for a bike rack. Per a Feb post, there is a system from Willwood:
http://www.willwoodsystem.com/products.htm I found another solution from Bird Automotive: http://www.birdautomotive.com/BikeRack.htm

There are pros/cons to each system. Neither system is too road tested with the 996 body design but both companies have a lot of experience designing/building bike racks for high end cars.

Was curious to see if anyone has direct experience with either system

Thanks,

Michael

Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Default RE: Bike Rack for 996?

ORIGINAL: doctork

As a cyclist with a '03 Carrera, I'm looking for a bike rack. Per a Feb post, there is a system from Willwood:
http://www.willwoodsystem.com/products.htm I found another solution from Bird Automotive: http://www.birdautomotive.com/BikeRack.htm

There are pros/cons to each system. Neither system is too road tested with the 996 body design but both companies have a lot of experience designing/building bike racks for high end cars.

Was curious to see if anyone has direct experience with either system
Hi Michael;

I was in the same quandry.. decided to go with the WillWood System after researching a bit here and elsewhere. To be honest, I hadn't seen the Bird Automotive solution, but I think I still would have went with the WillWood system. The Bird system seems a bit more convoluted to me, and I'm not sure it will work with the Carrera? It seems to rely on straps that go inside the Boxster trunk, from what I can gather.. One advantage of the Bird system is the locking option, which I don't believe the WillWood system provides. For me that's not a huge issue, as I don't tend to leave my bike "unguarded" on the car.

As I said, I just ordered the WillWood system, though I've spoken to "Will" a number of times in figuring out how it would work with my particular car. I too, have an '03, but in my case the "bumperettes" on the back of the bumper are not black and detachable, but painted the same color as the body of the car.. apparently, there are two rear bumper systems on '03 Carrera's - Will's "standard" system depends on the detachable black bumperettes, which have a strong mounting plate behind them (apparently). Will has a new system for the bumpers with the body colored bumperettes - which apparently debuted sometime in '03 and continued on in new model Carreras. It involves cutting a (gulp) fairly large hole in the back of the bumper to reach the underlying, structural steel bumper underneath. The hole, however, is completely covered by the license plate, so I was willing to go for it.

I haven't yet received the system - Like I said, I just ordered it the other day. When I do, I'll be sure to post impressions and / or pictures here.

- Nick

Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Default RE: Bike Rack for 996?

Nick- thanks for the insights. I have the same "bumperettes" as you.

In speaking with Sam Bird, he is adapting the boxter design to the 997 and 996's. He sent me a pix for a 997 without straps. The straps attach to the engine "hood" close to the bumper. He said he'd send a picture soon.

Ive spoke to Will a couple of weeks ago and he told me he was working on the 996 solution. Drilling that hole has me a little concerned too. Fortunately it will be covered by the plate. I do, however, really like the simplicity of Will's system.

Please keep me posted on the installation. Pix would be awesome.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM

As we all know very well that there are many race lovers around the world who likes to go for bike racing.There are many automobile companies which makes some racing bikes and all.