Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Breakin' period to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Default Breakin' period to the track?

My 997TT will arrive before the end of the month but is still in the "breaking in" period (about 1/2 way). I have a track day booked (and paid for) about two weeks after it arrives. I can come close to finishing the breaking in period (couple of weekend road trips) on it during the two weeks. Is this, plus an oil change, going to be adequate preparation from the transition from breaking in period to the track? I ask because of the sudden shift in the demand on the engine etc. involved? I'll lose the track $ if the sudden transition is not advised.
Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Breakin' period to the track?

Personally I would want say 5000 miles on the clock before Tracking. But I believe even modern machining techniques srill need time to bed in if you want to get all of the performance you can out of your new engine, transmission etc.
Regards Big Bob

Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks Big Bob.

You've given me good advice in the past and this new info was exactly what I was hoping for from an experienced (but of course, forever youthful) member. I am going to look into alternative track dates or just suck of the loss of the Mid July track time. Still, it would have been lots of fun. I'll stick to a few week long road trips until the end of summer.

The car arrived today and I pick it up tomorrow morning (hope I can sleep tonight). It will be a short drive to the detailers for 3M (a fairly large 3M kit as it will be my daily driver all year) and very light window tint (your advice again).

Happy driving.
Bruce
P.S. Will post photos next week.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bion

(but of course, forever youthful)
Bruce you are welcome after that comment. Yes time taken in getting an engine and trans bedded in is time well invested.
Regards Big Bob