Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Cab vs. Coupe in Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Default Cab vs. Coupe in Seattle?

Hi Folks,
We are just about to purchase a new 911. Only trouble is we are torn between a getting a 911 S coupe or a 911 Cabriolet. We would appreciate opinions.

This car will be used as a daily driver about 90% of the time (excluding snow days). We live in Seattle, thus it will be driven in rain quite a bit. We like performance but lean more towards cruising. It’s not likely we will do any track time. We like the idea of a convertible and the idea of maximizing those sunny days of spring and summer, but also are concerned about the real practicality of having a convertible in our area. Given that the car will be parked in a carport (enclosed on two sides) not a garage, I think about condensation as well as how a convertible will be on those very cold days of winter. The sales folks insist it’s not an issue as long as they are driven frequently.

My wife is curious about how will the convertible will prevent water from dripping inside the car when the door is opened given the very small drip rail.

Any suggestions regarding the merits of an S-coupe verses Seattle daily driver convertible are appreciated.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cab vs. Coupe in Seattle?

You know, I lived in the seattle area (snohomish) for about 8 years. While I have never been a big fan of the cab, in the summer a cab would be wonderful to shoot up through the cascades, or over on the islands, but I don't think I would really want one the remaining 8 months of the year. Just having a Porsche for those twisty roads would be enough. I wouldn't worry about the water issue on the top as long as it is being driven regularily, and no more water is going to get in when you open the door, than will rain.

You basically have to weigh a couple weekends a year of top down use, versus the rest of the time the top is probably up.