Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Can't get a good balance

Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Default Can't get a good balance

Put a set of Victor wheels on my C4S this week and can't a smooth ride,have a little shake in the steering wheel moreso between 60 mph to 80 mph do you guy's think it's a balance issue .Had bthe new tires ground force balanced, I'm just not sure bout the wheels ,the factory wheels neverbalanced out that well either. What do you think?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Default RE: Can't get a good balance

Hi Based on what happened to a guy in the UK, when he started to feela bit of vibration (a wheel came off!), retorque your wheel bolts. You are supposed to do this anyway after approximately 50 miles of refitting wheels. I've got Victor Equipment Wheels and new tyres (tires) and my experience was OK.
Apart from that urgent check, it could be still a balance problem.
Is it more noticeable when the tyres (tires)have been standing and are cold? Does it get better after driving for a bit? What size Victor wheelsdid you fit? What are the tire sizes and the make etc?Finally can you jack up the front of the car and put a clock guage (gage)on the rims to see if there is any significant runout? - the reason I ask this is have known where bad tire fitting on thefitting machine can buckle alloy wheels!
Regards Big Bob

Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Hey Bob ,, I had a shimmy right when I left the tire store, good idea about the lugs, I'll check them now. They are 18x8 front and 18x11 rear tires are Kumho 295/30/18 rear 225/40/18 front SPT's I was present when they where mounted and watched the process,, they seemed real straight before they where mounted , and they all balanced out with 0.00 ,, might have spun the back right when I left the store, but that doesn't answer the front shimmy.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:19 PM

Hi another thought n2boatn, check your front Track or Tie Rods and your Rack Jointsfor play too. Jack the car up and grip the front wheels and see if you can feel any play. If you get some movement and the Steering Wheel does not move (better still get an able assistant to hold the steering wheel in a fixed position), then you need to look further.
On a UK Porsche Forum I also belong to www.911uk.com, there has been a debate going on about 4WD cars and shimmy on the front. If your car was OK before the wheel/tire change that rules that out.
Anyway make few more checks, and we will see where we go next. If you can get hold of a clock gage to check the actual run out on the front wheels it would help rule that out.
Regards Big Bob

Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Bob thanks for the info ,I'll check the front end right now. The stock wheels never felt that well balanced either so maybe something in the front end, thanks again and I'll report back on the frontend play ASAP.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Bob just checked the frontend and it is as tight as a preachers dick in a calfs ***. It has to be in the balance or wheels. Thanks again