Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

CGT plays with a Zo6....(vid)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Default CGT plays with a Zo6....(vid)

Video taken in the bay area. The guy gets on it, but got outdriven. porsche sounds insane. Anybody up to taking this zo6 out?

Click here to see Video

Old 07-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Default RE: CGT plays with a Zo6....(vid)

Sounds like an uneven match, particularly in money: close to 7:1 ratio even allowing alot for ZO6's mods.

I own both a new Prosche and a ZO6 so I think I'm sort of objective here. Love them both, although I drive the Prosche a lot more.

The problem with taking on a ZO6 on the street, beyond the fact that to make any points in a race between to cars that fast you have to break the law very severely, is that a high portion --I'd guess a quarter -- you're going to meet have been heavily modified and would hand anything stock, even a CGT or a top end Ferrari, its but. A lot of them have heads and cam SLP packages (which might have won) or Lingenfelter or MTI kits which would have made it pretty one-sided.

I don't race on the street, but I'd like to see a CGT at the strip or the road track to see. I'm not sure I could take one in the quarter or around a road course, but it would fun and interesting to see. My ZO6's stock engine is long gone, replaced by a C5R 427 block and AFR aftermarket heads a year ago, trick suspension, etc: all that I could buy. It tested on a certified dyno at 546 HP at the rear wheels when it was only normally aspirated (that's about that the CGT would put to the pavement, I'd guess, but of course it weighs less). It now has a Procharger D1SC set to very mild 6 lbs of boost: 632 HP verified at the rear wheels.

My point isn't to brag: mine does the quarter in 10.0 flat on its "street" tires (345 drag radials), but I've had my butt handed to me twice by very normal looking vettes at the track, running high-end Lingenfelter or MTI kits (they go to 825 HP), using the the same block but more boost or whatever: maybe just smarter tuning.

There are a lot of them out there.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:10 AM

Very true, but that video was horrible.. That was the worst possible video/way to display how quick, good handling or anything those cars can do, that's such a dangerous road lol!

Old 08-20-2005, 01:40 AM

I owned a Z06, before I bought my 996. The biggest joke was all of my redneck friend who drove chevy trucks, liked to laugh every time they got in my vette, and would point out same interior parts, and cheap plastic *****.

The guy driving, the Porsche is probably more worried about the vette rear ending him, and not being able to afford to pay for his 400K car!

Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 PM

I suppose there will always be this two-way snobbery: Porsche owners dissing the Covette's "common" components and 'vette owners making fun of anyone spending "that much money" for a car that is, ultimately, a bit slower in just about every measure, although much smoother.

I view them as very different cars, which is why I have both: an 02 ZO6, stock when bought new but now with heavy mods, and a high-end 996, also bought new. The ZO6 had a window sticker of $50K and my 996 was almost $95K, and my opinion is that you should get a lot more quality feel for the extra money: and you do. If you get a 'vette you have to reconcile yourself to the interior parts - controls, *****, etc. - that are the same as on $18,000 Cobalts, etc. - but you get a lot of performance for your money.

A lot of 'vette owners simply want "cheap" performance and style with no hassles, and they get it. But I think most enthusiasts who have one, like me, view them as a hobby -- i.e., a stock 'vette is a good starting place, to work from to get real peformance.

It is interesting (and only a coincidence) that when the cost of modifications are considered, I've spent almost the same on both my Carrera and the vette: $40K in mods bought alot: a 427 custom-built Gen III "C5R engine, a Procharger supercharger, drive train reinforcements and all the bells and whistle upgrades needed to make use of 594 Hp at the rear wheels, plus new suspension with bigger wheels and tires (345s on the rear, and itnerestingly, 295s -- the same size as on the rear of the Carrera -- on the front, and all the shop time to set it up and sort it out and make it run right, plus some subtle if new body work and a lot of interior work (mostly four additonal instruments and a new center console). So, for the cost of a good Carrera10.2-10.3, and corners at over 1G, and stops much better than a stock ZO6 or Carerra, all on street tires, and looks unlike just about anything else on the street. A hell of a bargain: less than $100K and that performance is not available in any stock car, even a Carrera GT or a Saleen S7.

But I still drive the Carrera to work every day, and on weekend trips, etc. It is wonderful, refined, and very comfortable car, extremely fast and remarkably much much faster than if feels , and the only car I drive in the rain.