Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Cupholders!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Cupholders!

From our IA blog, but thought some of you guys might want to see it.....

This morning was spent installing Porsche cupholders in a beautiful 2000 996 Carerra. This modification removes the climate control unit which sits on top of the radio, and puts the cupholders in it's place. The climate control unit then replaces the small cubby that sits in front of the shifter and below the CD holder. I forgot to take a picture of how everything looks stock, but you can imagine......

1st step was to remove some dash trim and pull out the climate control unit which is held in by 2 screws. It is then pulled out of the dash and the harness is disconnected from the backside (4 plugs). In the picture below, i have already rerouted the harness and installed the climate control in it's new place. The 2nd picture shows the harness plugged into the back of the climate control unit.

Then you must remove the retaining clips for the Climate control, held on by 2 screws

Then install the new retaining clips which are shorter. They have some clips that hold them in place while you install the cupholder. I found out the one side held like it should, but the other side didn't work quite as planned, and was a bit of a bugger to get to stay in place

Sliding the cupholders into place......

Installing the unit in the dash. Again, due to the clips not staying in place, it was a little time consuming to get it right....

The finished product: The cupholders are spring loaded, you just push them, and they slide out, and push them back in to hide them in the dash. Note, the bottom trim was not yet on the climate control unit when the picture was taken.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Default RE: Cupholders!

We those made for a Porsche? My 2004 has a different type.

These in your photos look exactly like the cupholders in the Audi S4 I traded for my Carrera. (They, were, by the way, the worst cupholders I have seen - too small to take a big cup or thermal mug).

Still, it turned out to be a very neat installation -- loks factory.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

They are factory porsche, i have the part numbers at work. They will only hold a can of pop or similar sized cup, but the nice thing is they look factory.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:17 AM

Yeah, they look really good, and they can't be much worse than the ones that came in mine: a draw pivots out (hinged at the left side) with acupholder -- or two if you pull it straight out. They hold only a sada can, no good for a thermal mug.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Yup, i know exactly the one you are talking about. I have a spare one laying back in the parts, lol.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:50 PM

Those look great, wish my 944 had something like that. I bought some of the 25 cent window hanger cupholders for my 944 and the first day I had them I went to put my arm out the window and knocked the cupholder out at 75 mph. Have you seen anybody do something for cupholders in a 944?

Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have the sport cup center armrest i think it is called. It deletes the center console cover, and puts in a flat try with a cupholder in the rear. Holds a can of pop unless you corner really hard.....then the floor holds the can of pop.

The glare sucks, but you can kind of see it.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 PM

Wow, that looks really good. About how much was that? It'd also take care of that broken cover problem I have.... It also looks like your dash doesn't have any cracks. Did you replace that or is that original. If you replaced it how much was the part? I was looking at getting a carpet dash cover for mine until I can afford a replacement.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Actually the dash is cracked quite a bit and is original (cracked up by the defrost vents). You can find uncracked dashes for about 400 bucks or so from guys parting cars. I will replace it one of these days when i part another car that has a decent dash. I probably know where i can get one in decent shape for cheap, though it would be the airbag dash. Maybe i will do that this winter. I believe there are companies that will recover the dash if you pull it out of the car, for less than 400. The cupholder i thing goes for around 50, it had been laying in the parts room in a box for a long time, so i found it one day while digging through some boxes and threw it on. I am trying to remember who the heck makes it......