Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

electrical problem - 996 turbo 2001

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Default electrical problem - 996 turbo 2001

hi!

I'm having some problems with my 996 Turbo 2001..

To make a long story short:

One day the alarm went of by it self, couldn't turn it off with my key, so had to unlock the car with my key, and turn the ignition to second position. this turned it of..
after this the car would not start.. so removed the cable from the battery, and tried after 20 minutes.. when the power was back on, all the instruments/lights on the dash turnd it self on, airbag failure ++++ like the key was at position two (except the airbagfailure, I don't get this on stage 2 when normal), but the key was not in the ignition.

After som time , I got the car going, so went for a drive, and no problems.
When I came back, the car would not stop, even if the key was removed from the ignition.. so I pluged the battery off..

Next time the power was reconnected, all the warning lights on the dash turned on, ad the spoiler went up, airbag failure++, I also heard a lot of relay clicking all over the car..
After some time the car started, don't know why..

the process above has been repeated many times the last days witout a fix...

after a quick google, I decided to replace the ignition switch.. so went to my local audi dealer and got one..
replaced it, and everything was back to normal..

after about 5 hours yesterday, I checked my car again.. the car was locked with alarm on, BUT all dash light turned on again, just like the key was on stage two in the ignition... so back at square one

The reason for me trying to fix it myself is that it will take 4 weeks before a Porsche dealer has free time to fix my car..

latest update:
Went to a Porsche dealer to day and bought a new switch with housing (part # 996 347 017 07)...
Moved the key cylinder over from the old one.. but still the car won't work..
when i connect the ground cable after replacing the houseing unit, all the warninglights go on (including airbag failure on screen), when I turn the key to ignition on, airbag fail goes away, fulpump etc make normal noice, but the car won't start.. it's 100% dead when turning the key over to crank the engine..

also tried an extra ground cable form the battery to the chassie, and a different battery.. (the one that's there is a 72 amp, i tried with a 62 amp).
I also did a mesuarment on the ignition cable connector.. I've got ground on the black/yellow cable all the time(on the right in picture), but no ground on the black one (on the left in picture), I get ground on both when ignition is turned on..
Is this correct??? (google pic, so sorry for bad quality..)
Up front: Thanx for all the help I can get, I don't understand what the &%/#")=¤ is going on..
Resized to 63% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge

Hope some of you smart guys can help, because I don't have a clue after the doing all of the above...