Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

exploding Porsche batteries - warning!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Default exploding Porsche batteries - warning!

All,
I wonder if anyone knows of this issue. This is a true story, not a joke!
I have a red 2007 GT3, some of you in the bay area may have seen it. I keep the car in fantastic shape. A few days ago, nice sunny day out here in Ca, I go to the garage to start the car up to have a fun ride. I put the key in the ignition, turn it, and BANG, I hear a very loud noise from the front compartment, smoke emanates from the front, and I am thinking something went wrong very badly. Thinking the car had caught fire, I try to open the trunk, all electrical systems are down and the trunk can't be opened. Smoke still coming out, I try to find out if there is any type of manual release for the hood, none! It cannot be opened. Now, my other car is right next to the Porsche, thick smoke coming out, and I can't move the car out of the garage, I am thinking, God, trouble: the fuel tank can explode, the other car can catch a fire, and the whole house can be burned down! Ran inside, took my wife and son out of the house and anxiously observed the car from outside until smoke stopped coming out and there was no sign of fire. I cautiously approached the car and see this water-like fluid coming down the entire front end of the car. At this point, I am guessing the battery exploded and the water-like fluid is perhaps acid battery. I pour baking soda on it; rest assured, it is battery acid! The car was a total mess, I towed it to the dealership and they confirmed the exploding battery. Now, this was a battery that was completely functional before the incident and always maintained using Porsche charger. The cost to clean up the car and replace the battery >$1000! I call Porsche and asked them to address the issue, I got this lady explaining to me the lead-acid battery physics (I am a PhD in Physics!!) and saying that Porsche cannot cover any of the expenses and it is expected that lead-acid batteries can explode from time to time! I am thinking, WOW, am I talking to Porsche or some used car dealership trying to deny responsibility. Funny (and unfortunately) enough, at the dealership, the service adviser tells me that it once happened at the dealership in the shop as well and the noise was so loud that they could hear it inside the showroom.
Have you guys heard of such a thing? This was an OEM Porsche battery in perfect working condition and just exploded out of the blue. It could have easily exploded the fuel tank and God knows what would have been the result with the car parked in the garage, me in it, my other car right next to it, etc. etc. I am even more amazed at Porsche's response and denial of any responsibility, financially or otherwise. This has left a very bad taste of Porsche in me, in general. I am so upset, this may be my last Porsche ever.
I am telling you all, I have never seen a battery explode like this. Going bad, I understand, exploding, this is a first ever for me. And, the battery was not dry, as evidenced by the acid all over the car and on the floor of my garage.
Be warned, there is something wrong with Porsche OEM batteries and even if it causes serious damage to your car or other property, personal injury, or even death, Porsche will not take responsibility. This is what the lady told me on the phone!
Any comments or suggestions?
Kevin.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Yes, I have seen a battery explode. In the first instance, I was quite close when it did but unharmed. In the second, a friend's exploded during sometime when he was not there but it was obviousl

Bad luck, but Sh** happens. Rest assured, batteries are equal opportunity exploders - they will pop like than in a rather new Porsche or an old MG or a Chevy Malibu, for that matter. Be happy that you don't own a 'vette (beyond the normal reason you should be happy you have a Porsche rather than a plastic sports car with a body by Fisher-Price): when the battery explodes it spills its fluid right down on the Engine Control Module - big big mess!

Most battery explosions occur when their is a severe fault (short circuit) and the worst type is an internal one - bang!.
Check if the battery was not tightly locked down, if it had come a bit loose it is common that it can lead to failure or in rare cars an explosion, or it you drove fast over very bumpy roads, you might have shaken it too much although they are supposed to be designed for that if it it happened the battery was at least partly to blame.

I would never use a Porsche battery by the way, expensive as they are: I haven't had long life (but luckily no explosions) from any I had. I personally switch to Optima red top batteries whenever I can (did recently with the Ferrari, and the battery top now matches the car's paint!). You would have to find the Optima model that would fit though. I have no proof that they explode less, or that they leak less, but the spiral design is good from several standpoints and the link below claims they would leak less, etc. I also think that even if a cell did explode and if they would leak fluid, the designof freestanding cylinders would limit the fraction to one cell and only one cell leaking, rather than as in the normal batteries I have seen, where the explosion blew the whole side cracked so all cells lost all the acid.

http://www.infodingo.com/electronics...ds/optima.aspx

Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 PM

I have seen them go while being charged or jumped from another car but never in a car for no apparent reason. I would imagine that an internal short could create an arc blast that could certainly rupture the shell. The issue with the above case is the car was parked and just getting turned on. It would seam to me that something in the car put a heavy enough load on the battery to put it over the edge in this case. I personally have switched all of my batteries over to Gel filled Optimas. I am not sure if they are any better but have read they are allot more durable.