Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Fiberglass aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Default Fiberglass aftermarket parts

Looking at an aftermarket wing & front bumber (GT3 style) for my 996 but it's fiberglass which to me (novice) isn'ta big deal but I've heard on two occasions that fiberglass parts tend to crack, don't fit well and belong on a race car not a street car? In particular, I'm looking at several pieces from Better Bodies USA out of CA. Any comments on fiberglass parts and parts / service from this firm? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fiberglass aftermarket parts

If you are getting it from better bodies, be prepared to do a lot of fitment work to get it on so it looks good. If you are doing the work yourself, this is a good way to go, but if you are paying a shop to fit the stuff, then it is better off just buying the Porsche OEM stuff, it will be cheaper in the long run. I've fit a ton of aftermarket fiberglass stuff, including a lot of better bodies, Misha, etc. I usually tell guys it is cheaper to fit an OEM piece which requires zero fitment, versus paying me to try and make an aftermarket piece fit and look good.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: Fiberglass aftermarket parts

Thanks for the reply Doc. Just FYI, almost a direct opposite of what BB said, with regards to fitment. They (of cousre)said it would be a snap and prided themselves on very little fitment required of their parts. I was planning on having a shop do all the work by the way.

So, what are the OEM parts made of typically? What is your overall opinion of fiberglass? Carbon Fiber a better way to go??

I appreciate you comment about using the OEM parts as the costs may come out the same but from the limited research I've done, it would appear the OEM parts are thousands of dollars ($4K - $5K) each. BB was quoting <$1k for a wing and my shop was quoting $1k to $1500 for paint and fitment per peice.

Thanks again!