Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Hello from a proud newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Default Hello from a proud newbie!

I just bought my mid-life crisis car, right on schedule, days before I turn 50.
I have found an '01 911 Cabriolet with only 8,000 miles on it and am as proud as a new pappa.

...just found our site and will bookmark it.
Would you recomment joining PCA? How many of you are members?

Here is my new baby...I hope to make this my Porsche question 'go-to' site.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Default RE: Hello from a proud newbie!

Congrats!! I am in the same boat people tell me (mid-life crisis car)but mine was for my Fortieth. So I bought a 40th edition 911.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM

...you've got more years of enjoyment than me!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Congratulations to both of you. I too bought one at the tail end of my MLC and couldn't be happier - with the car that is
Re the PCA, I suggest you join, if only to add support to any and all values that can be offered to owners via an organization such as that. But truth be told, the greater value that I have seen is through the web and forums like this, with near-real-time responses, earliest and non-biased reviews of new cars and technology, and the opportunity for group buys and other leverage points that can be created by owner affiliation programs.
But now, lets get down to business. What's the first mod planned?
Let me give you my list. It's fun to make a near-perfect car even, um, perfect-er (ahem):
1. Clear side-markers (huge improvment in the look - and the lowest cost way to begin the upgrade addiction)
2. MoBridge bluetooth and iPod integration (replaces the cd-changer which my car didn't have anyway). This is a killer add on.
3. SmartTop convertible top logic unit. Allows one-touch and remote control of the top; auto locking, delayed bonnet opening, etc. Great feature and a fun install.
4. Porsche-brand Alcantera wheel (with yellow center market), shift boot, parking brake. Love the feel of the stuff and I can pretend I'm driving a GT3 RS.
5. Porsche brand short shift assembly. Dramatically improves the crispness of the shifter while reducing the shifting throw.
6. Porsche GPS upgrade. I bought my 997Spre-owned as well - and really miss integrated GPS. The system has a terrible UI - compared to a Garmin Nuvi or some such, but is quite accurate and I like the built-in design.
7. A Vivid Racing tire pressure monitoring meter. Again, the prior owner did not order this option, and this is a nice one because it does not require a 'sender' to be installed inside the rim/tire but instead attaches to the valve. We'll see how durable this is, but so far, quite nice.

Future plans are a trip/shipment to RUF, VF, or another supercharger vendor for a power upgrade. 355 hp is great. 500 is better. That's big-bucks though, so I'm not sure it will ever happen, but one can dream, right?

Anyway, welcome to the club. Enjoy your new ride. You'll find this forum is a great place to hang out and to get any of your questions answered.

t32b

P.S. Re the above upgrade, I feel obliged to state that I have no affiliation whatsoever with the vendors or partners cited.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

Welcome. Hope you like your new car. Looks terrific.

I joined PCA upon buying a Carrera four years ago and promptly began asking myself "why" as I found no benefit other than their publication which was, for the most part, one rather short article per issue. They do have the best cliassified ads for Porsches and parts and suppliers I have seen in print (i.e., good, and fun to read, but not as good as what a determined search on the Internet will find)

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks Lee...kinda what I was thinking about PCA as well....probably won't join, at least not right away.

t32b...that's quite a list!
At this point, I am already going through the ancient debate (I've always had classic cars up until now)....leave it stock..nice...clean...low miles example of this car...OR...hmmm, some hotter new wheels sure would look good on this car.

Not sure which route to take on this....

Old 08-23-2008, 07:21 PM

It is a growing list Hipcycler. But it kinda', um, grows on you. And, in the spectrum of P-car add-ons, most are relatively (and every cost with Porsche's is relative) low cost. Not until I get to the supercharger are we talking big-bucks here. But there is a vendor on another forum that is offering a bit of a price reduction so the temptation is high
Again, enjoy.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 PM

heyt 32 B you left out Champion rims!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:47 PM

Champion rims?? (not sure what you mean - really).

Oooh, forgot one thing. This was rather pricey, but I ordered it when I ordered one for the Ford GT:
A front bra from SpeedLingerie (http://speedlingerie.com/). These guys make, by far, the best removable front end protection for a car. Custom made, perfectly matching colors and designs, perfect fit - no flapping even at (very) high speeds, and breathable vinyl that doesn't cause paint damage if you get caught in the rain (but you should remove it nonetheless).
My pre-owned P-car had a good number of nose nicks when I bought it. Not sure if it is the fundamental aerodynamics or how the prior owner treated her, but I didn't want to take any chances. Plus I got a discount when ordering for two cars at once. They also make bra-lette's for the outside mirrors for added protection. I did get them for the GT, but not for the Porsche.
Anyway, check them out - and I'll send pictures if anyone's interested.