Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Help! 99 convertable top want go down all the way

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Default Help! 99 convertable top want go down all the way

Has anyone or know of anyone that has had a problem with there top not going completely down. Iwas caught out in the rain with the top down just for a few min.'s two days later my top motor turns and the top will go down about 3/4 of the way and stop,(although it will retract back to the closed position or back up position)all the whileI can still hear the drive motor of the top still turning. I took the panel out, that's located behind the rear seats andI can see the drive motor still turning, as long as I hold the "top down" button located on the dash. (sounds like it'sslipping) Behind the panel, there's a long factory allen wrench held in a factory bracket and in the center of the moving drive motorI see a bolt turning, that bolt has aallen head and I'm sure thats where the allen wrench is used. I have know Ideahow iteffects the top ifI turned it clock wise or counter clock wise.... Will it help the top go down?
Did the rain water cause this problem? any knowledgable suggestion?

thanks in advance
= del =

Old 06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Default RE: Help! 99 convertable top want go down all the way

The Allen wrench is there for when you loose power to the motor or the motor burns out etc.
Clearly the motor is working. It sounds like a mechanical obstruction to the mechanism, that causing the motor to slip. Have a good look round the linkage with a mirror to see into the difficult spaces to see if anything has come adrift.
Best I can suggest at this point.
Other thought are all the bits that are supposed to retract when you select drop hood actually happening, ie rear windowsetc etc?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 AM

thx big bob i will check out your suggestions

Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 PM

Perhaps you are low on hydraulic fluid maybe the cylinders are leaking. I recently replaced hydraulic cylinders due to seal failure.