Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Default Help

Thinking about purchasing my first Porsche and was looking for help. I like the 911's and wanted to know difference in the models based on year. I'm looking to spen around 20 to 25k.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Not sure where you are starting from. Wikipedia actually has a fairly nice introduction to the various models since 1964. For more detailed info, you need to buy several books. I like Paul Frere's book myself, but there are many others that focus more on the various models, etc., and less on the engineering, etc.

$20 - $25K will buy a decent 911 of any of several vintages, but all will be used to some extent, and is is worth noting that nothing is quite as costly as an inexpensive used Porsche.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks for your reply. I've done very basic research, Wikipedia......Noticed difference from '91 models on...Looking for advise on whether I should stick to '91 and prior or go with something newer. It seems that for same price range I can get an '01 as a '90 or '91.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by PRJM
Thanks for your reply. I've done very basic research, Wikipedia......Noticed difference from '91 models on...Looking for advise on whether I should stick to '91 and prior or go with something newer. It seems that for same price range I can get an '01 as a '90 or '91.
Yes you can. The newer cars a plentiful and rather modern enough but the older cars are rare and some are considered near-classics. It depends what you want. If you just want to own a Porsche and want to drive and enjoy it buy the newest model in good condition you can find. Models since '00 basically drive and have creature comforts liek current models, for the most part. Find a basic model -- one with good maint. records and well cared for. If you want a classic, be prepared for harder parts seraches when it breaks and relaize that even some cars from the early 90s, and clearly anything farther back, really feels old, with less performance and features, than modern cars. You will find the really sought after models a bit above your spending limit, but there are some good ones out there, but they are not really good daily drivers for the most part.