Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Help for a rookie requested

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Default Help for a rookie requested

Hello everyone,

I have decided I want to buy a 911. Well let me rephrase that, the wife has finally stopped opposing me getting a 911. Looking to spend less than $15K

So my questions are for that much I can get (looking at craigslist, autotrader, etc) something like an 88 with 150K miles or an 83 with 100K miles. I really don't know all the ins and outs and would like some opinions on which is better, older with less miles or newer with more miles?

Is the turbo worth extra money?

Also what else should I look out for when buying? Any known gotchas on these that would stand out? I

I will have a mechanic inspect whatever I decide on nonetheless but I'd like to do some of the pre-inspecting myself if I know what to look for.

And if anyone is the Atlanta area, any recommendations on mechanics that know what they're doing. I realize maintenance isn't cheap and I don't expectit to be, I just want to have confidence is whomever is doing the work.

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

Ed

Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help for a rookie requested

You absolutely will not get into a turbo for less than 25k that isn't a total pile of junk.

As far as 911's go, for 15k, anything in the 80's era is going to get you a car that is fairly well used, so expect some repairs. You need to do a leak down and compression test on any older model engine you are looking at. A rebuild will run you 7-8k if it gets down to that. Make sure the L&C test numbers are good. if they are not, walk away.

If you look around, you can find a nice example of an early 70's 911E or T for 15k. They are very fun little cars, and a good way to get into a Porsche. The values have actually be increasing on them lately, which is always good. Would you want to drive it every day? Probably not, as the technology is dated, and will be much different than driving a newer car obviously. Great weekend cars though.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Help for a rookie requested

Ed: Have you made your purchase? I live in Gainesville and have a 87 911 Targa for sale. Email me @ fredkellycpa@msn.com.

Fred