Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/)
-   -   High beam light on all the time (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/high-beam-light-all-time-4099/)

eddiem1717 08-25-2007 07:02 PM

High beam light on all the time

The other night I turned on my high beams and now the blue high beam indicator light on the dash stays on all the time. Pushing or pulling the high beam lever does nothing. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?

taxman274a 05-16-2011 01:02 PM

Same problem here on a 1987 911. Any advice?

Lee Willis 05-16-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by eddiem1717 (Post 12295)
The other night I turned on my high beams and now the blue high beam indicator light on the dash stays on all the time. Pushing or pulling the high beam lever does nothing. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?

Well, diagnosis certainly depends on something not clear from your description and time: are the high-beams themselves on all the time, too, or is it just the indicator light that is on all the time, even if the high beams are switched off. If you turn the headlights off completely is the light still on?

Also, I am quite surprised that two people who have posted only once on this forum should have the exact same problem/

taxman274a 05-17-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Willis (Post 27676)
Well, diagnosis certainly depends on something not clear from your description and time: are the high-beams themselves on all the time, too, or is it just the indicator light that is on all the time, even if the high beams are switched off. If you turn the headlights off completely is the light still on?

Also, I am quite surprised that two people who have posted only once on this forum should have the exact same problem/

Not sure if the high beams or the regular beams are on, but if you move the high beam switch/lever, there is no difference in the light intensity and the blue light stays on regardless of lever position. When the lights are turned off, the lights and the blue light turn off.

Came across this thread in a Google search. I see the OP posted this in 2007.

Lee Willis 05-17-2011 09:35 AM

It is probably the high beam relay that is stuck/ruined. Either that or the high-beam headlight switch itself but the relays typically fail first in most cars.

taxman274a 05-18-2011 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Willis (Post 27681)
It is probably the high beam relay that is stuck/ruined. Either that or the high-beam headlight switch itself but the relays typically fail first in most cars.

Thanks, I'll check those out, starting with the relay.

JohnnyBiggs 03-02-2022 08:12 AM

High beams on, right rear tail light fuse blown

99 coupe. Noticed right rear tail light was out, found fuse blown. Replaced fuse and both bulbs no issues. Drove at night weeks later, immediately after turning on the lights noticed high beam indicator light on in the dash. Cycled lever on the stalk (did not “click”) and the blue light went out. Got pulled over a week later for right rear tail light out. Fuse blown again. As soon as I cycle the lever on the stalk (high beam light), it blows right rear tail light fuse. Has anyone ever experienced this? Plan to dig in with a printed wiring diagram and a meter as soon as I can get time. Seems that this can’t be a unique occurrence so hoping someone can pass on some help.