Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

High beam light on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Default High beam light on all the time

The other night I turned on my high beams and now the blue high beam indicator light on the dash stays on all the time. Pushing or pulling the high beam lever does nothing. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM

Same problem here on a 1987 911. Any advice?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by eddiem1717
The other night I turned on my high beams and now the blue high beam indicator light on the dash stays on all the time. Pushing or pulling the high beam lever does nothing. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?
Well, diagnosis certainly depends on something not clear from your description and time: are the high-beams themselves on all the time, too, or is it just the indicator light that is on all the time, even if the high beams are switched off. If you turn the headlights off completely is the light still on?

Also, I am quite surprised that two people who have posted only once on this forum should have the exact same problem/

Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
Well, diagnosis certainly depends on something not clear from your description and time: are the high-beams themselves on all the time, too, or is it just the indicator light that is on all the time, even if the high beams are switched off. If you turn the headlights off completely is the light still on?

Also, I am quite surprised that two people who have posted only once on this forum should have the exact same problem/

Not sure if the high beams or the regular beams are on, but if you move the high beam switch/lever, there is no difference in the light intensity and the blue light stays on regardless of lever position. When the lights are turned off, the lights and the blue light turn off.

Came across this thread in a Google search. I see the OP posted this in 2007.

Last edited by taxman274a; 05-17-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM

It is probably the high beam relay that is stuck/ruined. Either that or the high-beam headlight switch itself but the relays typically fail first in most cars.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
It is probably the high beam relay that is stuck/ruined. Either that or the high-beam headlight switch itself but the relays typically fail first in most cars.
Thanks, I'll check those out, starting with the relay.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:12 AM
Default High beams on, right rear tail light fuse blown

99 coupe. Noticed right rear tail light was out, found fuse blown. Replaced fuse and both bulbs no issues. Drove at night weeks later, immediately after turning on the lights noticed high beam indicator light on in the dash. Cycled lever on the stalk (did not “click”) and the blue light went out. Got pulled over a week later for right rear tail light out. Fuse blown again. As soon as I cycle the lever on the stalk (high beam light), it blows right rear tail light fuse. Has anyone ever experienced this? Plan to dig in with a printed wiring diagram and a meter as soon as I can get time. Seems that this can’t be a unique occurrence so hoping someone can pass on some help.