Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Importing into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Default Importing into Canada

I love the 911, and with the current exchange rate it SEEMS to be much cheaper to import a US car into Canada than to pay the inflated dealer or private sale prices here. Are there any fellow Canucks who can give me some advice on their experience?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Importing into Canada

This might help.

I ended up finding a good deal on a Canadian car but I did all the leg work in doing the research you are looking for. It's not as hard as one might think to get a US car into Canada. First; the Porsche is not under NAFTA because it is built in Germany so you will have to pay about 6% duty. The vehicle will need to clear by US customer 3 days prior to import. If you don't the Canadians won't stop you but if the US customs finds out it won't be good. At point of entry you will have to pay GST. Once the car is in the country you will have to get it inspected at Canadian Tire, they are the location dictated by the goverment. You will have to make some modifications to the car to get it on the road. Daytime running lights, sticker on gauges identifying MPH and maybe a few other small things depending on the year and model. Last PST and sticker.

Good Luck

Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Default Importing to Canada

Hi I'm also looking into the prospect of importing a 911 to Canada given the exchange rates...However, is it not true that Porsches (not unlike Mercedes and BMW) require the auto be taken to an authorized Porsche dealer for any and all work to be completed as opposed to go simply to a standard CanadianTire (as you can with many other non-Deutsche autos)? Please correct me if I am wrong. Also do they not also require a swap out of the odometer gauge to kilometres? Anyone with experience and knowledge of intricacies of importing would be very helpful. Thanks