Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Just picked up my 1st Porsche.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Default Just picked up my 1st Porsche.....

Hello all, just brought home a new 2009 Carrera S cab. It's triple black and pretty well optioned. A few questions:

1) Where to go for aftermarkert parts/mods?
2) What are the most popular changes to the newer 911's...exhaust, tune, cosmetic, etc?
3) Any tips/tricks about these cars?
4) Anyone install an IPod interface...I have the nav and bluetooth and no IPod interface...dealer wants $900.00 to install...other (cheaper) alternatives?

thx

Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM

First of all ,congratulations! you have an awesome car. As far as mods ,Leave it alone,it is beautiful as is.I'm telling you your car is perfect,drive it and enjoy.Automotion sells alot of aftermarket stuff for Porsche(if you must ). 1 800 423-3173 or automotion.com
Good luck and have fun
AJ

Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM

You have a really nice car. Congrats.

As to mods, my strong reocmendation is to leave it stock, or go to Porsche for mods - GT3 and 2 wheels, etc. The factory does a really good job of engineering the car and achieving a really good balance -- its fast but not an extreme or edgy car. Frankly anything you do will sacrifice something, usually a lot of something, for small gain in performance. The only exception I ever make here is headers, which, if done right, are a benign modification (they reduce stress on the engine and increase power and economy). But Carreras come with pretty good sets. Fabspeed makes good stuff but I would nto expect bit things.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM

AJ & Lee, thanks guys for the feedback and I'm with you as far as leaving it mostly stock. I'd really like to add the IPod interface and the PSE (see if I can keep my current tips). Was not sure what others are doing with this new DI engine and it is quite capable as is. The PSE would add a bit more agressive exhaust note (but could be turned off when in the neighborhood, etc.). I've put 850 miles on her so far and am not straying above 6K RPMs at this point. This car is amazing and well put together. I traded a 2008 M3 vert for the Porsche and it was no slouch either...the BMW was much better optioned (for the price) and integration was better and while it handled well and the 8400 red line V8 was awesome...the Porsche has been winning me over these past 800 miles - and I haven't even been able to push it much yet... I have to admit a bit of "sticker shock" at the price Porsche want to add the PSE ($3,500) and the IPod interface ($1,000 - which IMO should have come with the factory Nav and High End Bose sound system) but it is what it is I guess Would either of you know an OEM Porsche parts supplier I can contact for discounts on Porsche OEM parts?

Thanks and enjoy your "garage babies" too!!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 PM

One advantage of leaving it stock is that the car will not become extreme (once you start down the modifications road it is hard to stop and eventually the car IS extreme) - and thus it can be a daily driver. Drive it every day. I drove my Carrera rain or shine. I drive my Ferrari most days. A real car is not a garage queen, and the fact is that Porsches and Ferraris are just cars -- made in a factory (hand assembled or not) by a company intending to make money selling it to you, and (except for that very, very rare tenth of a percent) destined at some point for the recycling center.
So, leave it stock and drive it every day and you will enjoy it much much more than modifying it to the point it is extreme and becomes an exotic garage queen. I may be the only Ferrari owner in NC that drives my car on rainy days and parks it under trees where the birds crap on it every day -- but to be honest, its just a friggin' car -- a really good car I think -- but if it can't take the daily commute and grind that any Focus can handle, then I'll get something that can. Your Porsche can take it -- they are close to bulletproof, so my advice is leave it pretty close to stock so it is reliable and the dealer will respect the warranty, etc., and just drive it every single day - you will enjoy it a lot more over the long run.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Lee, thanks for the feedback and please don't think by "graage baby" I mean "garage queen"! I had 8K miles on my M3 vert (loved driving it) but being a nicer car and black it was my garage baby too...I have an F-150 Screw that gets the airport/Home Depot/supermarket duty! Just a better vehicle for hauling stuff around and not having to worry about inconsiderate folks scuffing up in airport parking lots. I usually put around 5k - 7K/yr on my "garage baby" so it does get driven. As far as mods, I must admit I do like tinkering with things but with the newer, high end cars there seems to be less to mod...would like a decent IPod interface, the PSE and that's probably about it...came with the 19" Turbo wheels and I like them so won't be changing those out.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:17 AM

It is fun to modify - "hot rod" is really an appropriate term -- a car. But I think it is far better to buy a car specifically for that and go into it with your eyes open, than do it to a really good car that you intend or want to use daily.

In my opinion, the best cars for something like that are Corvettes, Camaros or Challengers -- they have very robust engines and chassis that can take a lot of added power and abuse, and aftermarket parts are cheap and plentiful and work well (if you buy the right ones). Mustangs are a close second to these three, except the Ford modular V8 is a bit delicate compared to the GM and Chryslter LSx and Hemi blocks. I had loads of fun from '02 through '06 modifying a ZO6 to exactly doubled its measured rear wheel torque and HP, and it became kind of extreme: it could knock off 10.0 1/4 miles on street tires, but its street tires were 345 drag radials that would literally hydroplane on a moist road, etc. And that is how I ended up with a Porsche for 3 years: I realized early on the 'vette was not a daily driver anymore and went out and got the Porsche to drive to work, etc. I ended up driving it about 15K miles a year and the 'vette - about 200 miles a montyh maximum.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM

Lee, right on...prior to getting into the German cars (2 BMW's now my new Porsche), I had a succession of Mustangs culminating with a 2007 GT500 vert. The SC5.4L V8 in that car was a beast - had the CAI, tune and smaller pully on it before I sold it - was a wicked blvd cruiser but a pig in the curves. Could really feel the nose heaviness of the iron block V8. Just spied my LFD's 1st 5.0 in the Grabber blue yesterday...that new engine appears to be a realy winner!! Can't wait to drive one soon. Anyway , I'm loving my new CS Cab and am going to go drive it RIGHT NOW

All the best, Brad

Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Default Your new car

congrats - can you say where you purchased it< how was the dealer etc? what was the price paid and did you look at a slightly used car? Just interested in the buying process as i am in that mode now. Thank you.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Atlantajuice
congrats - can you say where you purchased it< how was the dealer etc? what was the price paid and did you look at a slightly used car? Just interested in the buying process as i am in that mode now. Thank you.
Aj, I was looking at 09's or newer due to the increased hp with the DFI. Went in to check out a used 09 (500 miles) that was on sale for 93K...turned out that it didn't have Nav, Bluetooth or Bose high end sound system...was about to leave when I came across a new '09 with the options that were must have for me. The dealer was able to make me a better deal as Porsche was giving them a holdback to move the car. Retail was 107K and I got it for 92K so about a 15K discount...which seemed pretty good to me - given no major changes between '09 and '10 models...plus the full factory warranty was available on the new '09. Good luck on your search!