Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Key reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Default Key reprogramming

Hello all. I need some help please. I just purchased a 99 911 and it is in good shape for a 99 with 93k on it. I had to have new tires done and a few minor things but over all the car is in VGC. I want to know if there is anything I can do to avoid the major repair that I saw mentioned in another forum where the engine gets destroyed. I can not remember what that repair was but it sounded pretty serious and I would not be happy if I had to replace a whole engine. Anyway,is there anything I can do to avoid that major event in a bad engine?

The real reason I am looking for help is the dealer I purchased from (small exotic car dealer) told me that his wife dropped a soda on the floor and it blew out the DME (?) computer under the seat? I am drying out the water that is under the seat and I think the real reason is the drains under the trunk in front of the firewall were clogged and the water was runing in and down through the stearing column opening. I cleared drains and think I resolved the issue. I had to take the seat out and turn up the carpet to dry with a heater. AARGH)
I found out that they had to replace the computer under the seat as well as the one in the back somewhere and the key fob chip (or the whole key fob) The car runs as the chip matches the new computer just fine however the key fob will not operate and open the power locks. Additionally, I am told by the dealer that I can not replace the key which runs the engine and the doors etc. I fear losing a key and having to replace all of the parts mentioned above. BTW.. the dealer bought the new computers and matching chip (key fob) from a used porsche parts place in Oklahoma. I have the VIN number from the Porshce (2000 911) that the computer and DME key chip, came from but the dealer can stil not program the key to open the doors.
My concern is I want the key fob to open the doors and lock the car as well as get another working key with the chip. How can I do that? The dealer say there is no way to erase the codes in the replaced parts to reset to my car. They say I would need to replace those parts again and that seems crazy. They would be $1500. I do not want to replace what is working. I find it hard to believe that there is no master code to completely erase and reset the codes in the new (used replacement) computer under the seat and back of the car. Are there any suggestions as to where I might be able to go to to get this info and get this fixed? I live in IL and really want to get that key fob to work and get a replacement.
I hope that explains my needs for any experts to advise. I really look forward to hearing from anyone.
My email is dbetler@comcast.net if anyone has any info to share.

Thank you in advance.
Darryl