Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

model selection questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Default model selection questions

Hi everyone. New member to this forum because of a developing interest in selecting a new 911 ina bit of time. I am interested in many people's feedback on a few points. I'm interested in a 911 coupe, purposefully as a near-daily driver in everything other than the worst of snowy conditions, but have a desire for first hand info about the real world differences in why people might buy one or another model. I have done an exhaustive search here and in other Porsche sites to collect info to aid my decision, but am not totally satisfied yet with results.

I recently went to a dealer and asked about why most customers state they would buy a c2 vs c4, c2 vs. c2s or c4 vs. c4s. I was underwhelmed by the response though. Trust me, I am highly familiar with the details of the models and have done a lot of research on the particularities of the models, but am a bit lost on a few points. Other than the fact that on the bottom end the c2 sits and numerous more expensive models with seemingly "better" qualities are higher up the cost ladder, what was each of your decision point for one or the other.

I'm sure that many want the c4 for the possibility of winter or wet weather, and some additional handling qualities, but as owners or each model, how do you rate your satisfaction with that decision itself? Do any of you c2 drivers wish you had the c4 or vice versa at any times? The way the models are structured, I must admit, is a bit hard to not seriously want to own a c4s, because many of us looking at these types of cars could see wanting to have the "nicest"=highest one on the list, but I don't know if this is really a good way to view it.

Is there anyone not satisfied with the base model c2, for instance? The salesperson was essentially upselling the higher dollar models, but I asked him to take price out of the equation, and he still said that would be the car. I'm not sure I would agree, so please help me out with your thoughts when you bought. I asked what was "wrong" with the c2, and of course he couldn't respond, nor do I feel anything is bad about it....it's a beautiful and highly performing model of course.

Are the extra "s" options/performance something that owners truly squeeze value out of for a daily driver, or moreso when tracking your cars??? I don't expect to use the extra few mph on the interstate of course, so help me out.

I really appreciate any and all feedback and hope you could help me with this dialogue.

N

Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Default RE: model selection questions

You can't blame the salesperson for upselling. As to the difference in the models, I don't really think four wheel drive is necessary until a car has around 400 HP at the wheels. The 4S may be better in snow and bad weather, but that is not the primary reason why the factory endowed the car with four wheel drive and the superior handling, etc., is franly lost on me. The added power of the S is definately significant (but costly). Up to the newest models (I don't know about the new direct-injected models) the 30 or so horse difference between normal and S model was tremendous - those are very big horses in that difference.
I had a Carrera 2 for four years. It was extremely well built until I bought the y Astonby far the best build quality I have every seen, and flawlessly laid out. It was pretty fast in a straight line and around curves, particularly tight ones, and very reliable - in 35000 miles nothing at all broke. ButI found it a bit sterile and unexciting not unenaging, but just, well - hard to explain, but not as exciting as a few other cars I've owned. That's why I didn't renew with another. To me, a Carrera 2gets you 99% of everything possible on the street, or if you want to go extreme and expensive, then a GT2 or 3.