Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Moving to 996 Turbo from 750Li?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:30 AM
Default Moving to 996 Turbo from 750Li?

Hi, I would like to ask all of you for advice!

I have a 2006 750Li that I love. I tend to keep my cars for a long time, but I do keep in mind the depreciation issue. From what I know, the 7-series is very much a fashion statement and tends to plummet in value once newer models are introduced. I therefore would like to sell the 7 and sink my teeth into a 996-Turbo - my dream car since my teenage years.

I'm quite sure that the 996 turbo keeps its value very well. The examples that I am looking for are ~'01-'02. I had asked Porsche dealerships about extended warranties, and they offer a nationwide-honored program through Fidelity. I would rather buy an older car with low miles and spent extra money on a 6yr, 100,000 mi warranty than spend it on a "newer," ~'04 car with NO warranty, do you folks agree?

If I buy, then the turbo will become my only car. Is it a relatively well-built, high quality car? Does it succumb to nasty squeaks and rattles? I also love to ride my bicycle, I was wondering if any of you have tried stuffing a road bike inside of it? (I know it sounds silly, but seriously) I think it might be possible after the bike's front wheel is removed, but anyways...

The 7-series is very quiet and has a composed ride. Do any owners of higher-mileage turbos experience any obvious defects in ride over time? Squeaky suspensions, etc?

My feeling is that once you go Porsche, you never go back. I certainly hope this is the case - I would love to make a 996 Turbo a long part of my time on Earth. I haven't test-driven a turbo yet because I need to sell my 7 first, and I would like to know if should even bother with the hassle. Your collective wisdom is most welcome, thank you very much.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 PM

Nah, you can move on from Porsche. It's not that special or unique.

They are very well designed cars, and extremely well built. But the engineering is only so-so, actually.

Regardless, I moved on after only one - my Carrera was a great car but . . .

As tothe original question, I would never recommend a Turbo as an only car. If you can't afford it as a second car, don't get it.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM

I went and test drove an '01 with ~30k mi. Car has a small oil leak and spits out some smoke upon startup, but seller told me that was normal. IS that normal, and should I be worried about oil leak?

I called a Porsche service advisor and he told me that the oil leak, though it's OK by itself, will require $$$$ for repairs (dropping out the engine for work). He also said that the model does spit out some smoke if not started for a while, but it shouldn't at every start. Thoughts?

Why does the 7-series have to be so ubiquitous, if it wasn't then I'd be happy with mine

As for the drive itself...it is not as fast as I had hoped. The engine is exquisitely smooth (maybe because it's way back there and I can't feel anything) and the power feels easily controllable, but the sound is mundane. It's no thrashy power like a Z06. Maybe I'm too accustomed to my '06 R1 .

The brakes were weak when cold, and they didn't get much better after a brief drive. Overall, though I love the car (a new 996 would be nice) that example is not winning my heart over...

Last edited by RollingGuy; 06-01-2009 at 01:10 PM.