Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

My first 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Talking My first 911

So I'm just getting into my first Porsche and so far I love it. I have a 1992 Porsche 911 turbo (I believe its the 3.3L but I have been told its a 3.6 by different people). I wanted to get the car perfect in my eyes so I was doing my first oil change on it. Obviously oil changes arn't the same as my normal Honda daily driver. Without a repair manual, I jumped into this situation myself. I realized quickly that there is two oil drain bolts on the car. I am completely stumped and can only fine one(in my opinion its the obvious one that is in the direct center of the back of the car). I don't have a repair manual to locate the other one. Can anyone aid and let me know for a 92' where the second drain bolt will be? Also how much oil does a 92 hold, I read and was told it was 9.9 quarts, is this correct ( I was also told to use 5W-30 castrol synthetic, is this true)? Also is there anything else out of the normal oil change that I should be other than drain, change filter, refill, and start hot and check, add if needed? Thanks so much for any help. -Alex

Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Look in front of the passenger rear wheel in the skirt there is a cutout where the reservoir drain is (and this drain shoots oil out at a pretty fast pace, so be ready). Should hold about 8.5 quarts.

Your 92 is indeed a 3.3L. The 3.6 turbo did not come out until 1994.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM

Yeah I did find this earlier. Before I did the post i slightly opened it and some water substance came out(nothing like oil) thats what gave me the indication that this was not the 2nd oil drain. Do you think we are talking about the same thing here.

Also is there only one refill area to refill the tanks in the engine compartment or is there two separate areas to refill?

And finally my last question is I was also told to use 5W-30 castrol synthetic, is this true or ok to use? I live in Ohio. thanks Alex

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

There is probably some condensation built up at the bottom if you haven't driven it much. It would be the only plug in the side skirt in front of the passenger rear wheel. There is only one oil fill spout. 5-30 is way too thin for an air cooled engine. If you are planning on driving it in the winter, then you might use a 10w-40 for the winter months, otherwise use a 15w-50. You can also use a dino oil in 20w-50.