Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

My new dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Default My new dilemma!

Hello everyone I am a current Audi owner and starting to think about my next purchase. I am very passionate about automobiles and tuning however for my next car I am looking for something that I don’t have to put much time and money into outside of the necessary car payments. I currently have a 2004.5 MT6 MTM Stage 3 1.8T A4 with many other respectable modifications. I have been into the German auto scene for some time now and have always loved the Porsche line. I have been looking at pre owned 911’s as well as the new Caymen S. I have considered the Boxster but I really would like a stronger model line and it must be a coupe. This car will be a seasonal driver so RWD is fine. I am a big Quattro guru so it will be hard to break away from that mold.

I was wondering what the boards input was on which car to look into. I participate heavily on AudiWorld and Audizine forums to name a few so if that tells you anything know that I am big into research and knowing the best options prior to my purchase. Since this purchase won’t take place for about a year I figured I might start my hunt now.

So what are the pros and cons? I would probably be in the 00/01 model yea 911 price categories but if I went with a Caymen S I would be willing to put forth the extra dollar. Do we think this new model and body will be a success or is it viewed as a poor attempt to fill a market gap? As far as engines go which should I focus on more and besides timing belts and minor plugs and coilpacks are there any serious known issues I should keep my eyes pealed for? I know many of these questions have been answered so I will also be doing extensive achieve reading and Googling myself up the wall looking for info.

Any advice is much appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you and spending time on this forum in the future. BTW, is Roadfly one of the more popular Porsche forums? I am familiar with the layout so figured I would start here but if there are any more out there I should look at I would love to know of them. Thanks again all for your time.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My new dilemma!

Most popular porsche forum out there is probably Rennlist. 6speedonline is also big for the 996/GT2 guys. Obviously there are many models out there, each with their own pros and cons. What is your budget on the car? I would recommend a 996TT, but i think the caymen is going to be pretty stout as well, though i would stay away from any 1st model year car. Give it a year or two to work out the bugs, you know there will be some.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Default RE: My new dilemma!

I can understand. I loved Audis for years but just two months ago traded a 2004 S4 (the 4.2 liter V8) with only 18K miles in on one of the last 996s the dealer had. I have no regrets. I got the 996 because of the deal I could get on a nearly discontinued model, and because it weighs about one-person less less than the 997 and therefore has a superior power/weight ratio: plus franliky after driving both I could not tell much different in feel or fit and finish and I like the 996 headlights better.

Regardless, I have never missed the Audi since. The Porsche is faster, more fun, and a better weekend trip car. Strangely, the biggest improvement day to day is visiblity-it is a lot easier to see out of the Porsche. The Audi sedan had some blind spots to either side.