Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

New Aston Vantage vs 911

Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Default New Aston Vantage vs 911

Even though we love our '07 997 C4S, I had to go drive the new '09 Aston Vantage. It's a world better than the '06-08 version and quit nicely put together. Couldn't find a 6 sped, so drive a sportshift convt and a coupe. Quick, handles well and I found the sportshift operated better than the new PDK. Yet, I long for the manual, in most cases.
Having said this, I still find it a bit hard to believe Aston's marketing comments about this being "a 911 fighter". It's a great car, but a whole different animal than the 911. Feels larger and heavier, not as toss'able, nor feels as quick. Much more of a sport tourer, than a true sports car.
The other thing appears to be the much harsher depreciation on the Aston, from new.
I may go back to test it again....then consider, just to complement the C4S!

The other current stable-mate is an '06 F430, which, from a pure drivers standpoint, beats them both, hands down. But, can't ever leave it anywhere or really drive it daily, as a usable vehicle. Very fun, on a very limited scale.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Default RE: New Aston Vantage vs 911

I agree The Aston is quite different than the 911/Carrera. But I would not go back.The Astonis a different car. As Motor Trend oir C&D observed in aTurbo/R8/Vantage comparison test a couple of years ago, the aston is slower by the stopwatch but is in many waysa more engaging, fun car to drive than thePorsche Turbo hard to explain why (I didn't believe the article at the time either . . ) but it really is noticeable better. I will attest that it is more comfortable than any car I have owned before perfect seats and ergonomics. Mostly though, it is:stunningly beautiful beyond words Porsche doesn't even make something in the same ball park; and fast enough yes, a Carrera S is faster, but the difference is unimportant in day to day driving; more linear and balanced guys it really does handle better than a Porsche Carrera (I had one for four years)> it is more linear and balanced, classy James Bond and all that. And the fit and finish: not easy to trump Porsche but Aston does it (so, for that matter, does Maserati in the $130K price range, like the Turbo, the dealer I shopped at also carriedthem inthe same price range as the Vantage: really nice car!)