Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

New to me Porsche and the check engine comes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Default New to me Porsche and the check engine comes

Hi,

I just bought a 1999 Porsche 911 convertible Automatic last month.

About a month now and the check engine light comes on. I went to two shops who gave two completely different estimates.

The first one wanted $1000 to drop the engine and replace the air diverter at the top of the engine. $1500 total with parts.

The second seemed more professional and said I needed:

2 oxygen sensors $478
air flow sensor $481
fuel pump relay $129

$280 labor

They quoted $1500 as well to replace this. I can get the parts for a lot less and see if they will use the parts I get.

Also anyone know if I have an Electronic Accelerator? I have triptronic which accelerates electronically obviously is this what they mean?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Charles

Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Take it to a dealer - a big one with high volume if you have one near you -- and ask them for a diagnosis and an estimate. I am not saying have them do the work (although i would be tempted, they generally get it right and stand behind their work) but I would not commit to fix anything until you have some confidence that you know what the problem is. the dealer is likely to diagnose it correctly.

Also, while there, have the car really, truly checked out. It might be a coincidence that the car developed problems within a month of your buying it, but it might be that the seller had covered up some problems with cheap, temporary fixes. Best to find out for sure.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Thanks, my friend gave the same advise.

Will do, they want $180 to check it out.