Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Default New to Porsche

All,

I am new to the Porsche scene and frankly have no clue about these vehicles. Traditionally I have been with attracted to the 01 BMW 740 sport, M3 and Mercedes S600. I would like to try my hands at a "real" sports car for a change and thought Porsche may be a candidate.

I am definitely looking for a convertible with 6-speed manual (no tiptronic) from 2000-2003 and looking to spend between 30-40k for a good one. If someone could lead me to a specific model and year that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Default RE: New to Porsche

I just went through this same decision process and ended up with a 2003 911 Cabriolet with 21K miles for $45,900 that is in perfect condition. I had to look at many cars over the Internet before I found one priced this inexpensively. This is a reference point for your search.

I am now deciding between third-party extended warranty companies, as I haven't owned a Porsche before either and don't want to be hit with a major expense. Any advice on this would be appreaciated.

Kurt

Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Default RE: New to Porsche

Kurt,

Well that sound like a KILLER deal. I have had quite some experience with aftermarket warranties and have to say it is prob. not worth it, in addition these were large players as well. (ie. warranty direct, aaa warranty, elite warranty etc..) All in all the economics dont work out in your favor. You are better off spending the money in prev. maint.

If you closly read any of these warranty contracts there are clauses that protect the underwrighter, they can basically void your warranty fairly easily. One item i never understood was the "pre existing issue" clause, that states it does not cover any damages that were pre-existing to warranty date.

For example you have a rear main seal leaking and after 2-3 months take to dealer --> they can send an insepector/appraiser on site --> and appraiser can that it was possible that rubber seal began to detoriate prior to warranty --> claim is denied --> and you have not much recourse if you car has the tranny dropped and sitting in someones shop.

Again I would not purchase one of these warranties.

Regards,
Steve