Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

New To Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Default New To Porsche

I am going to buy a '78-87 911. I'm new to Porsche and Porsche enthusiasts and I’ve already read much about the different models but I have a couple of general questions about eventually reselling.

Thinking about resale value and demand, when people (like you guys) buy a Porsche, does it have more value if it is kept original? For instance, is it better to buy one with all the original engine, transmission, color, etc and restore it as original as possible OR buy something that has an older body but with an engine, transmission, etc from a newer model 911 (say a ’79 body with ’85 engine)?

I really want a red one but I can’t seem to get one that meets my other requirements. Is it bad to paint a car a different color than it was originally?

Other than body looks is there a difference between the Coupe and Targa? Is one more desired over the other?

Any input is welcome and thanks for you help.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: New To Porsche

sagolfer

Although I'm not an expert, I will try to answer some of your questions.

Normally an original car will have a greater resale value than one that has been modified.

Changing the color is expensive and usually not going to add, but will subtract from the value of the car... Coupe usually have a higher resale value then the Targa, and less then a cab.

Coupes are generally stiffer then either a cab. or Targa.

As red is the most common color, I would guessyou will find one meeting your specifications....

Years ago, when I was searching for my 87the one color I didn't want was red, so as fate would have the best car I found was red.... Now Ilike it

Good Luck with your search, and remember ALWAYS get a GOOD PPI, before buying...

Bob

Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 PM

I'm still trying to get a feel for the Porsche community in general.
Thanks for your input. That will help me get started.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:04 PM

It depends! I like untouched cars! I don't like, for example, the guys at westcoastcustoms. They ruine the whole concept of the car!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: m0n0x!de

It depends! I like untouched cars! I don't like, for example, the guys at westcoastcustoms. They ruine the whole concept of the car!
i completely agree about the west coast customs thing lol... that show is more of them just laughing about what they are allowed to do to peoples car without spending any of their own money... it's retarded, they never work on engine or important components. they add 600lbs and do nothing to the suspension...

my advice is buy an 87 because it has the old school lightness and the g50 transmission.

the resale quetion: if you are going to buy a car with a newer engine, as long as you have ALL the papers showing what was done and WHO did it... you shouldn't have a problem on the reselling side, however i'm not sure it would be worth as much as a stock 911 with say a rebuilt engine, or an untouched engine.

the painting business, my advice is either buy of the color you want, or learn to love the color you buy because painting old 911s is VERY pricey for a good job, and your gonna want a good paint job. if the paint isn't in the condition you would like it to be, buff it all down and CLEARCOAT, thats what i did my friend!

GOOD LUCK! hope you enjoy your 911 as much as i do!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Thinking more about the "keep it original" vs. "customize", I realize it was probably a dumb question. The more I read from Porsche owners the more I can see that they are like other classic car owners. Some spend tons keeping or making it original and others spend tons going way out there making them one of a kind. They do have the “spending tons” in common though.

I’m leaning towards keeping it close to original for my first one. This idea of getting a Porsche just hit me the last few months and I had never even driven one. Don't know why. I remembersomeone with a posting signature on a golf forum that went "I play golf because the voices in my head tell me too." Mine is not to reason why.

I finally got out and test drove a few (78, 82, 86) and can see where the idea of fun car comes from. They are smaller than I remembered (hadn’t even been in one in many years) and wow how that engine is crammed in there but they all seemed to fit like a glove and grab corners.

I guess I’ll find an ‘87 to test drive. Thanks for everyone'shelp so far.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi folks.
I just registered here today. I just got my Porsche 911 last Saturday. It's a 1980 sc coupe. I had to wait 30 years to get it but I love it! It's about4 times faster than my old Triumph TR6 I had as a teen a long time ago. We talk to each other. I say go - It says hold on very tight!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 AM

TexasSteve

Sounds like you've got the sickness.... Just be careful when itstarts telling you to buy it toys...Good Luck with your new Porsche