Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Newbie ?s re 930

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Default Newbie ?s re 930

As you can see this is my first post. Ill startby sayinghello and as you can see by the title I have questions regarding the 930.
I will be getting rid of some toys and would like to possibly replace them with a 930. I have admired this car for quite some time now and am contemplating actually purchasing one. What are the differences between model years and how do they effect the values of each year. What year cost the most and why? What should I be looking for as far as what is desireable and what is not? I have just started educating myself regarding these cars and I recall a good article in a not to past Forza issue which I will see if I can locate tomorrow. I bought my girlfriends dad a subscription for Xmas a couple years ago and it looks like a great magazine.

From what I have seen so far there appears to be a lot of low mileage 930s (50K miles or less) that appear to be in very good condition. Have I been lucky in spotting these or is this the norm? I know I have asked a lot but my automotive expertise is in vintage Shelbys (of which I have none) and old Corvettes which I have had a few of. I want a toy now that I can actually drive somewhere other than a car show and not be removing blades of grass from between the treads after I park. Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie ?s re 930

Typically your grey market 930's will bring a little less money than your US verion 930s. 1989 will bring the most money, as it had the G50 5 speed transaxle. 78 and later used the intercooled 3.3L engine.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 AM

This is pretty much my first post too.

I know that you are probably still researching... but I had just wanted to let you know thatI have a 1986 Porsche 930 Turbo for sale that has undegone aRUF BTR conversion. I think that owning a Porsche that has had a RUF conversion is the way to go. This one does 0-60 in 4 seconds and has a top speed of 211. My price is close to what anormal stock Porsche 930 would cost used. If you are interested let me know.I am selling it becuase I have just purchased a new helicopter and I am in the process of building my own heliport.

To answer part of one of your questions about finding lots of 930's for sale with lower miles: Mine hasonly 23,000miles on it for a few reasons.I live in Montana and can really only drive it about 3 months out of the year. I also like to have it tuned up and serviced every 5000 miles because I do want to preserve the integrityof the RUF Porsche 930T. I also live on a ranch with dirt roads, so I have the car stored in my parking garage in town (this car has never seen gravel). My lifestyle and where I livedoes not really allow me to me to put lots of miles on a car like this. In my experienceof bieng a Porsche 930 owner (NOT EXPERT)I have learned that the late 80's porsche's really are dependable for the type of sports car that they are. They are built very solid and if they are maintained, willgive you a long life of fun driving. Given the amount of performance that this car deliver's it really is not that expensive to drive either. ( I guess cost is relative) but it is more expensiveto drivea Ferrari 308, 328 which I think are comparible cars. It is also cheaper than flying a helicopter.

Here is my advice. GO FOR IT!! Porsche 930 Turbo's are awesome, Do the best that you can to find a 930 Turbo that has been kept good to immaculate condition. Most good driving 930T's start at $35,000 and go up... If youpurchase a Porsche thatneeds to be restored, it will be very easy to put more into the car than it is actually worth. You probably know all this stuff that I told you bienga vintage Shelby and Corvette expert.

If you would like to get a hold of me to inquire about my Porsche for sale or justto chat about Porsche's you can e-mail me at snelson@zootweb.com.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 AM

Just to add to the rest, whatever car you select, get a PPI.... 930's are expensive to repair, it seems parts for them are sold at a premium... Usually they are very reliable, but every now and then the problem one arises... Also don't rule out grey market cars, you can get a good bang for the buck with them... Just check them carefully. I have never regretted buying my 930.. Drive a 930 and then drive a 911, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: snelson

I am selling it becuase I have just purchased a new helicopter and I am in the process of building my own heliport.
Something about that statement made me about fall out of my chair laughing! I wish I had that problem...have to sell the Porsche to pay for the helicopter and landing pad

Post pics of the car!........and Montana!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Good! I was a little worried that you would all mistake mefor a Porsche backstabber for migrating into a Helicopter habit. [:'(]It is looking like my son will probably purchase a 930 in the next year or two......I am counting on him to keep the Porsche blood in the family. I would sell him mine, but I do not think that a good fathercould contiouslysell his son a 200+MPH car and feel good about it.

I have the 930 RUF in the shop right now, it is getting a full service tune up (valv adj, spark plgs, belts, fluids etc..) If the tune up is done on time I should have the car back this weekend so that I can detail (wipe off dust), and take lots of pictures. ETA for posting pics...NEXT Tue Jan 14.. I will add some pics of Montana and the Helicopter just for you Porsche Doc . I am also putting together a write up on the car with a list of the upgraded components.

Do you have any suggestions of where I should place classified ads for this type of car?
I am thinking Germanautoforum, DuPont Registry, Classycar.com, and ebay.. I am open to anything.

BTW: The Porsche 930 Turbo is faster than any Helicopter.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Sounds like a great car, sorry to hear your selling it. Youmight try listing it with the area PCA, also list it on some of the other boards.... Pelican, Rennlist, 911turbo, sixspeed,etc... Autotrader and Craig's list also work pretty well.

Bob

Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Bob,

I appreciate your input,I will take your advice.There is a big part of me that doesn't want to see itgo either.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yea rennlist and pelican are the biggest Porsche boards out there, along with 6speedonline, though their 930 group is pretty small. You can post a classified post on pelican, but on Rennlist to post any for sale items you need to be a member ($18 a year) or the post will get taken down. 6speedonline the hardest part there is getting them to activate your new user account...sometimes that takes months, lol.

If it were me, I would put it up on pelican, and pay for a year membership on rennlist (it truly is a fantastic board and worth supporting) and get it up on there.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Thank you. It sounds like the ($18 a year) for Rennlist could be money well spent. I appreciate your input and I will be registering with Rennlist and Pelican tonight. I am also going to take Bob's advice on using Craigs List and Auto Trader.

I am probably going to shy away from 6speedonline just because it kind of seems like the odds would be against me there.

Quick Reply: Newbie ?s re 930