Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

old vette kicks my porche

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Default old vette kicks my porche

I had a run in with a 1984 vette, mine is a 99 911, we zigged and zagged around the curves at high speed, but i could not hold the curves, does anybody know what i was up against?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Default RE: old vette kicks my porche

a better driver?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM

The vette has lower centre of gravity, if i'm slipping and he's gripping, how can that be a bad driver

Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Fresh/sticky tires?
Smooth versus abrupt movements?
Thoughtful throttle actions?
Also, depends what kind of cornering. Truth is, the physics challenge posed by a rear-engine design makes skidpad/best-case cornering a real challenge for a Porsche. But the sophistication and tuning of the Porsche chassis, combined with excellent steering feedback makes it a very capable design in real-world scenarios.
I don't know of any company, setting out to build a supercar, that has elected to put the engine in the rear. There's a very good set of reasons for that.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 PM

Thats a good exsplanation, so are you saying that a rear engined car has better cornering capability, or less, can a vette out manouver a porche in say 90 degree curves at say 85 mph ,or does the 911 out do the vette , i was told the 84-96 vette had a super high performance suspension called the Z51 in 1984 models, very stiff in the 1984 model and softened up in later years.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

It's a bit more complicated. The Vette has a bias toward a front center of gravity (CG); the P-car a rear CG. But the P-car is further from center than the Porsche is. So, in a constant radius turn and for a constant set of tires, without any undulations or disruptions, the Vette will likely stick at higher G's. However, the Vette also has a higher overall moment of inertia - meaning that it's ability to change direction (i.e. to initiate the turn) is hindered versus the P-car.
So, you can begin a direction change more quickly, but can't stick as well (again, many many other variables here) - all other things being equal.
Which is why, though most 911 owners are loathe to admit it, the Cayman/Boxster line are superior handling cars than the 911. If Porsche put the same CarreraS, turbo, GT3 and GT3 engines in them (particularly the Cayman), they'd wipe the track with the 911's. I was astonished how much better the Cayman is the very first time I drove one.
At the end of the day, all other things being equal, the finest driving sports cars will be mid-engined. They have both the most balanced CG and lower polar moment of inertia (i.e. they can rotate (turn in and/or change direction) most quickly. Some on this thread will object, point out exceptions, and there are - due to many exogenous factors. But an F430, Ford GT, Gallardo, Cayman, Audi R8, Enzo, Veyron (that one's too weird for comparison) all possess this acknowledgment of physics.
All that said, I still drive a 997S Cab. Because I like it. But I don't pretend it's the best.
Oh, one other thing in the 'feel good' category. The same thing that limits the P-Car handling due to the engine being out back also makes for outstanding braking - because weight transfer is mitigated by the rear CG - allowing all four wheels to grip the road when decelerating.
You might want to check out my blog. I have a few entries on some of these beauties...

Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM

The first thing to understand is that a'vette, even a 24-year old one in good condition, is a formidable car on smooth roads with sweeping bends, as in "canyon racing."

Second, a stock '84, even in the best of condition, would be slower in acceleration and top speed than your car. However, very few '84s around are stock. The guy could have had upgraded/replaced the engine with something much more powerful: it is easy and cheap to seriously upgrade the power in a vette. You might have been playing with something having a lot more power than your car
third, better tires and an experienced driver who knew the road, and you would not stand much chance.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

He knew how to hit the apex's correctly, and you didn't? How much track experience do you have? If he had some, and you had none, that explains it all right there. Just because your car is losing grip, doesn't mean it should be...that is usually caused by driver error.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Thankyou t32b and lee willis, those were very detailed and educated replies, and i agree with that, ill have to bone up some driving skills too doc.
Take care now and thanks again.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 PM

You can buy '84 Vettes all day long for $4500. Maybe the owner didn't give a crap if they wrecked whereas you were a lot more careful - and good for you! You still win on the wow factor

Steve

Quick Reply: old vette kicks my porche