Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Porsche 911 - How long do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Default Porsche 911 - How long do they last?

Hello,

I've recently come across a '99 Porsche 911 for sale, Beautiful car, clean car fax, no accidents and full service history. There are a few blemishes here and there but the card has almost 130k miles on it.

It's selling for around $20k and as much as I love the car, I'm struggling with how much longer the car will last. I live very close to a Porsche dealership and max do around 10k miles a year driving. This would be a second car so I couldn't imagine running it that much.

Wanted to see if anyone had any info on how long a 911 would typically last.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

the 996's are still too new to really know what the upper end is. I can tell you it is way over priced at 20k with those miles. I wouldn't pay more than 15k.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks! I have been doing some comparisons and investigations online and it does look like it's over-priced.

I'm also looking at what the cost of maintenance would be on a car like this. Considering I wouldn't be putting a lot of mileage on it I want to make sure it lasts.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM

You can reduce your costs a bit by making sure you do nothing stupid (i.e., that you don't over-pay, that you don't buy someone else's problems, etc. ) but Porsches are relatively expensive cars compared to other cars and one way or another you are very likely to have to pay for your fun.

Paint, leather, etc., are among the more durable elements in a car if well cared for, and the easiest and cheapest to bring back to 'as new' appearance, so the fact that they look perfect is not a strong indication that the car will not become the lemon from hell as soon as you drive it home. Adn with those miles, even if it is in fully diagnosable "good" condition today, it will not be so tomorrow.

Personally, I'd rather pay more up front for low miles, good condition and a car that will pass a very comprehensive inspection with flying colors, than have to manage and pay for the nearly constant small repairs, and occasional long periods int he shop, that a high mileage model/lower initial cost model is likely to give.