Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Radiator Protection for 997 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Default Radiator Protection for 997 C4S

I am picking up my new basalt black 997 C4S (X51) tomorrow. After viewing the exposure of the radiators, I think road gravel and road debris could do some damage at high speed. I am contemplating fitting light mesh to protect the front radiators. A local installer says it involves removing the front skirt. I can see where it fits in between the air inlet and skirt. It would make it impossible to clean the coolers without removing the skirt again. Are there any other drawbacks? Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Default RE: Radiator Protection for 997 C4S

I've fitted a similar system on my 996. Basically if the mesh does its job, your need to clean is going to be much reduced. I cannot see any significant other drawbacks to the plan.
Regards Big Bob
PS because you have Basalt Black the "silver" colour of the mesh acts as a nice contrast to the front end appearance.[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM

BB--do you have a source for that mesh? I'd like to try it.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 AM

Hi take a look at Porsche Shop Website per: http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo...y_styling.html.

However if you check out the Internet for local Metal Stockholders looking for Stainless Steel Mesh or Expended Metal: they are not difficult to make up as a Do It Yourself Project.

The advantage of your own project is you could design them so you can remove them without dropping the Front Spoiler off every time.

Regards Big Bob

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks BB

Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I got cold feet getting it done, the examples I saw from a local supplier in looked amatuer. The Porsche Master Technician I spoke to said it makes it hard to clean. If I could easily replace the protection for cleaning that would be a better option. I'd love to see some examples.

On another note. I have been waiting for my 997 for six months. I remember reading that it is the only time a man feels like a child waiting for Christmas again. While waiting for delivery, I kept having doubts over whether I should have bought the Turbo, is a cab a smart idea, is X51 worth it...blah blah, blah. Icollected my 997 C4S (X51) and drove it home. I have driven a few P-cars (turbos included) so my expectations were high. I dropped the top on the way home and pressed the SPORT button. Any words underplay the experience...the sound and torque as it winds up is intoxicating. I can only imagine how the GT3 owners feel. The cab may feel like a hassle (only when you have your practical brain engaged) but it definitely adds to the experience (mind you it's not my daily wheels). It's like being connected to the machine. Hearing the exhaust in sport mode when you overtake is one of life's must experiences. Sorry about the cliché but it took my breath away. Anybody thinking of X51, definitely tick the box twice. I can't sit still, I want to go for another drive!!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Congratulations on the new car.

Like you I have an X51 equipped car. I was alarmed to see how exposed the additional radiator in the centre was and did fit mesh grills to all three frontal apertures. Not only stops stones puncturing the rads but also prevents any other debris gathering and causing potential rad rusting problems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6534/8FA3E4B1A1A646C1B744F9D494B8DD1B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6534/51ADB7F00CBD4BAEABA216E1397E7C3C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Just an FYI, the radiators are plastic and aluminum....they won't rust.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 AM

Corrode?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM

After reading this thread, I got down on all 4's to look into the grill area. I was totally surprised to see it almost filled with leaves and other road junk!! Looks like it's a good idea to check them every few weeks, especially now that the warm weather is here.. Could prevent an overheating problem down the road.. I took my shop Vac and sucked everything out.. It's kind of hard to get a hand thru the small opening..The radiators look fine otherwise.. No nicks or dings from road junk hitting them..

Hope everyone enjoys summer.... Get out and drive!! I don't see enough Porsche's on the road..

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY

Quick Reply: Radiator Protection for 997 C4S