Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned
Default Tint Question

I am going to be tinting a 07 Porsche 911 Turbo in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has any recommedations on how to approach this car. So far Ive heard not to used metalized tint due to GPS, etc. Any recommendations?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:02 PM

I assume you mean tinting the windows, given your comment about the GPS receiver, rather than having a tinted clearcoat put over the entire car to add depth and a darker shade to the paint. I've heard that metal tint film does cut down on reception of both GPS receivers and satellite radios (if either is not the antenna type) but I have no personal experience. I wouldn't tint the windows of any car I own. The purpose of windows is to be transparent so you can see out and the factory provides the maximum tinting that is needed. At night I know a lot of the heavy tinting really reduces what you can see - a neighbor drove his Boxster S into a deer and says that little bit of darkening at night might have made the difference (it was the reason he gave for leaving the new windshield untinted, anyway).

Old 01-31-2010, 03:37 PM

I dont know what would compel anyone to tint their windshields...

Just for reference, I have 20% tint on all my side windows and rear window of my DD 07 Audi... I have Sat radio and Nav. I have no visibility/ functionality issues other than when looking into my side mirrors to back up... The tint and the antidazzle (auto mirror dimming) function really dont go well together. But that is a small price to pay for having a nice cool (temp) cockpit.

I would go with a quality Tint manufacturer and go to a reputable shop in your area. I have highend 3M tint. Make sure you check your local laws regarding Tint and acceptable tint percentages! 30-35 is the usual legal limit.

DO NOT TINT YOUR WINDSHIELD! IMHO