Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

What to expect from a 911.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Default What to expect from a 911.

Hello everyone im new to the forums and to the world of Porsche. I currently own an 07 BMW 5 series and a 2001 clk 430 Mercedes am looking for a third car ( sports car) and it has to be German i love the way German cars feel,handle,power etc etc. Ive narrowed down to two cars..the Mercedes 2004 Sl500 or the Porsche 911. I have a budget of around $60,000 so I thought the Porsche 911 non turbo model was the right car for me, I have never been in one but I have always loved them. Im looking for an 00-05 model, what can I expect from a 911 Porsche..power,reliability,maintenance, feel when driving? What do I also have to look for when buying one? I want to know all about it from the viewpoint of a Porsche owner. Thanks guys. Cheers.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What to expect from a 911.

If you are at around 60, you should be able to squeeze into a 997, which I would highly recommend. They have a few minor issues that the 996 line did not, but overall are a newer design with some nice changes over the 996. The 996 is still a great vehicle as well, and you could get into a very low mileage car for 60k (you can almost get into a twin turbo at 60). I would get a PPI done, check for things like the rear main seal leak, etc.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:17 AM

I lovethe feel and sound of arear engine under acceleration...the raspy exhaust and engine whine is truly different from any other car I've driven!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM

I have driven both yet have not owned either. I was surprised at how well the SL500 handles. When throwing it into a corner, the Mercedes took a set and showed minimal understeer. In some ways, it felt as good as Porsche.
However, the Mercedes does have some of that sluggish feel to the steering and cannot obtain the same telepathic feel you'll get in a Porsche. All I remember about my last stint in a 911 was a need to get into the turning lane and the car suddenly shifting into that lane. It was really like it read my thoughts and not my steering inputs!
The acceleration in both is mighty. The sound of the Porsche is better but the Mercedes still entertains.
The big area where Mercedes wins is in the interior. The Porsche 911 still has a somewhat cheap feel to it; I remember seeing some of the buttons hieroglyphic-like symbols were wearing off. The Mercedes is a techno tour-de-force, with a plethora of buttons clouding up the center console. Also, the SL comes with the retractable top, which is the future for all convertibles.
For a long trip, I would rather be in the SL500. For a quick highway blast, I would rather be in a 911.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Hi
I have the advantage of owning a 2005 SL500 and a 2003 996 Carrera 2 (with a reasonable power and body kit upgrade). What would I choose if I could only have one? Well thats difficult.
I dont like Rag Tops soI would never have Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Here the SL with its tin roof has the best of both worlds, wonderful Cabriolet or secure Coupe'. It handles well with the ABC, and is a really relaxing drive, with good performance. You can drive it for hours without stopping (only stop for fueland personal functions!)
Now the Porsche this is more hardcore, ride is firmer, the handling sharper, and really pumps the adrenaline. 60 litres of fuel makes it more necessary to stop for fuel on long runs however.
Best advice is to test drive both - see if you can get them for a days drive. In the UK providing you cover the insurance the Dealers will do this.
However I dont envy your deliberations as both cars have a their good differing points and very few bad points that rules either one of them out. I'm only glad I can have both, and dont have to make this decision!!!!!
Best Regards Big Bob

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Boy, ain't it nice to face such a dilemna?!

You said sports car. To me, that rules out the SL. Besides, you already have the BMW 5xx andthe Merc CLK, so if you really want a sports car, go with the Porsche. If you want a touring car, get the SL.

Here's how I define the difference between touring and sports. If your idea of fun in a car is to go fast on a highway, get the Merc. If your idea of fun is to paste laps at a road racing track, get the Porsche.

Happy motoring!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 AM

I have to agree. After owning a couple of SL's, I don't consider them "sports cars", more like "personal luxury cars ". Each seems to be directed ata different comsumer.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 AM

I think the difference is the sl is a really nice car that happens to be fast. Whereas the Porsche is a really fast car that happens to be nice. That being the case, since this is a third car and it looks like you already have two cars that fill the first slot, I would choose the Porsche.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM

Well so far im convinced all the research ive been doing on Porsche has come out positive..the only thing I heard about them that is quite disturbing is that they tend to get alot of oil leaks which can be a potential problem. What is your out take on this? Has it happend to anyone here with a 996? And how are they "luxury" wise?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM

Maybe Doc can comment on 996 leaks vs model year. My 2004 C2 has 30k miles and has never leaked a drop of oil.

Quick Reply: What to expect from a 911.