Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

XM Radio in my new Targa 4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Default XM Radio in my new Targa 4 ??

I take delivery of my 2007 Targa 4 on monday. I have XM radio in both my other cars. I would like to have it installed in the Targa. Can anyone give me some advice and the cost for this installation??

Thanks in advance

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY

Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: XM Radio in my new Targa 4 ??

IIRC, we sell the kits around $1400, with install at about 2 hours. All porsche parts.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Congratulations on your new Targa. Check out what we did with ours....

www.wwstereo.com/mobile and click on the porsche video

let me know what you think, I know you can't hear it but it is one of the top 5 best sounding installations on the planet ( IASCA World Finals 2007 )

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 AM

It you do a lot of road trips, get the Pioneer Avic D3, with nav, blue tooth, ipod, etc.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Again, I must say that if you compare Pioneer to Kenwood at the same price point there is way more value in the Kenwood pieces. I have used both. The new kenwood excelon piece ( DDX8120 ) with built in Nav ( by Garmin ) and Bluetooth ( by Parrot ) is by FAR the best performing piece. Please do yourself the favor to compare both. The decision at that point is easy. I have a shop in Pa where I see so many people who have the AVIC pieces that see what kenwood offers more feature for less money. And the performance from the kenwood hands down destroys the AVIC P.O.S. . I honestly think the people on this forum recommending the AVIC eith A. never compared the two units or B. have ignorantly conviced themselves that they made a good idea. Bottom line thr AVIC sucks (in my opinion)

Old 04-27-2008, 01:09 PM

Again, your personal choice. When you read the reviews, the Pioneer is $300 less than the Kenwood and more versatile. Good luck selling your Kenwood "Pieces" OS

Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM

I agree with you cmilam. I will never own another Kenwood. I just bought the Avic3 and know several people who have one and they love it. This guy is obviously a Kenwood salesman pushing his goods on this forum. [:'(]

Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM

actually I am an installer but i dont sell stuff i just install it. I joined this forum to find tip and seldom known tricks for porsches and it would only be good carma if I helped people out while I was here.

now that 911tt got me all fired up , i have good reason to tell you :

a: where i work they sell pioneer and kenwood , so I install both and get to use both on a daily basis.

b; defective exchange on pioneer equipment is double , thats right, double at my store

c: the avicd3 uses dvdmapping , that technology was discontinued in january of 2008 , no more update discs for pioneer

d: the ipod connecter on the avicd3 is generation 1 ipod control (slow) on the kenwood its gen 3 (fast)

e: if you were to buy a brand new avicd3 it would be 2005 mapping on a kenwood it would be 2007

f: the kenwood is updatedable via a sd card slot so when you buy your update its cheap and easy. (not a 300.00 dvd)

g: the pioneer avic does not come with a mounting cage , so install is tougher

h: cnet reviews are better on the kenwoodtouch screens than pioneer

if you need more reasons let me know , otherwise i will continue to give expert advice to people who care.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Do the online research on Kenwood electronics and you'll see the countless problems. As a "consumer" and not an"installer" I'd NEVER own another Kenwood. There are also problems with Kenwood NAVs in very hot climates on screen malfunctions. Get a Kenwood and you'll regret it.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 PM

The Kenwood DDX8120 is also $600-$700 more than the Pioneer Avic3. If I wanted a more powerful and sophisticated NAV system I would have bought the Pioneer Avic Z3 for $1,500. It has all of the features you mentioned and more, but insteadI bought the Pioneer D3 for $800 with blue tooth, ipod attach and full installation for $1,200. It has all of the features I need and with my bose speakers, the sound is amazing. The GPS , bluetooth, ipod functions are exactly what I need.
As a consumer I have also had problems with Kenwood systems.

Quick Reply: XM Radio in my new Targa 4 ??