Notices
Porsche 924 The Porsche 924 was produced from 1976 to 1988 was a two-door, 2+2 seat sports car coupe.

New 924 owner..Hello everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Default New 924 owner..Hello everyone!

Hi everyone, my name is Dale from Sheboygan Wisconssin, and I live 6-miles from Road America Race Trak.. I just bought a 1977 924 silver with black interior. I’ll post pics at a later date

Ok, I drove the 924 home 100 miles and loved it, by the way this is my 1st Porsche and I plan on buying a 911 down the road sometime. I thought I checked all the lights, but I must have mistaken the brake lights with headlights/taillight.

When I got home I replaced all the bulbs with Salvinia 1156's and the one small with a 67W. I have turn signals and driving taillights but no brake lights or backup lights. I sanded down the "gang" grounding bracket where the 3-grounds meet and cleaned all the connection with electrical spray cleaner...but still no brake lights.

The car did not come with an owners manual so I’m not sure what fuse to look for...but the fuses under the dash all looked good.

Questions:

1. Can anyone shed some wisdom on the brake lights?

2. Are 1156 LL the correct bulbs? I tried a 21W/5W but it would not twist into the base plate because the "pins" are offset

3. Can the stock fuses be upgraded to Glass Fuses?

4. Where does everyone buy parts, Plug wires, distributer cap/rotor, spark plugs, etc. My 924 is running rough but I think it just needs a tune up.

5. Where can I purchase an owners manual.

Thank you to all and I hope to hear from you soon. As always, when I find out how to fix a problem I will always post it for others.. I also own a 1991 SL300 Benz and a 1999 Lexus GS 400. I belong to other forums (Lexus/Benz) and I always find them helpful and like to share my info too.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Default RE: New 924 owner..Hello everyone!

I use Auto Atlanta for reference and new parts.. Charlie is their 924 expert....by the same - do not assume anything.
Further, I have found that the biggest problem with old cars is the mechanic you have work on it......if you can, do it yourself..doubel check everything a mechanic does..if you keep the car and parts clean it will perform well.....but there are a lot of half *** mechanics out there.....it takes time to find good people....
as for lights/electrics - you will get all your answers on the auto atlanta site.......
There may be other places but they have been the best.
As for parts. - there are jobbers who wreck 924s.......we have one up here in Ontairo but if you search the web you might find a parts source nearby.....
However, used parts have no guarantee and no return policies...so i find it is best to go see them, see the parts and then if they look okay - buy them....but if they are electric, you have to assume they are as bad as your olds ones...so best to buy new if you can find them....
You can also get a Haynes manual for the car....mine is so worn that I have to get a new one also....
924sare a great car to drive but a pain to get fixed...if you have a Porche 924/944 racing group near you they will be of great help.....
As for budget - figure 10% of the cost of the original car per year....the original price up here was 20k so i figure 2k/year on average to keep it on the road.....if that is not within your budget - get rid of the car - they are not cheap to own......
My wife and I were in Madison this summer - loved it - you have a beautiful state.....you could have a great tiem drive a 924 around.....
also Minnesota near Rochester has great roads and places to keep the wife happy -....
Art meens