Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

1984 porche 944 wont start after it got hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Default 1984 porche 944 wont start after it got hot

My baby was running strong but was starting to heat up . I would drive it for 28 miles to work back and forth and noticed the temperature raising everyday i drove it. well months whent by and finally it got worse yesterday and it almost reached the yellow line at the max and after i parked and tried to turn it on the next day the lights went on in the dash but it didn't even budge ,not even a click from the engine . I checked the battery and it was charged ,does any one know what could be wrong with my pride and joy . she is not doing good. I gratefully appreciate any feed back . the funny thing is that the antenna was getting hot and started smoking when i tried to start her up again. so i will check that first to see if there is a short . other than that i never had any problems with my 944. help!

Old 09-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1984 porche 944 wont start after it got hot

Starting issue sounds like an electrical problem to me, i would first track that down. You can try jumping the car and see if you can get it started. Then after you get the car to start, see if the electrical problem solved the temperature issue. If not, then look at the cooling system. Does the car smoke white at all? I doubt it is a thermostat, as when those fail, they usually fail open or closed and would overheat long before the 28 miles. When a waterpump goes, it usually starts to leak or siezes up completely. That pretty much leaves a bad temp sensor (which is known to happen), or a headgasket.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback ,i managed to start it with a wire connecting it straight to the starter .but it does not start with the ignition .old faithfull does not want to start with the ignition but i do get the lights on and i am able to get the car started by putting juice directly to the starter.the car does not smoke at all .i noticed that one end of the radiator hoses gets hot faster than the other and the water pump is not leaking at all and appears to be running with no problems . still trying to figuire it out .at least my baby starts and there is no smoke at all.in the mean time i will clean the wires that connect to the starter and see if that works and get a new thermostat which i don't mind spending the extra dolllars. if you have any ideas i would appreciate it .thanks.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Have fun putting the thermostat in with the waterpump in the car. IIRC it takes the perfect angled circlip pliers to get the retaining clip out.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:24 PM

do you think it is the thermostat ?because one of the hoses gets hot .and is the thermostat on top or bottom?thanks for your feedback i am already having a good time.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thermostat is on the big inlet on the waterpump (lower radiator hose connects there). I dont know that the hose getting hotter faster than the other has anything to do with it. I guess you can replace the thermostat, and while it is a major pain in the butt, it is cheap. If that doesnt do it, then you start looking at waterpump or head gasket. I believe there is a procedure for testing the temp sensor as well: Go to www.clarks-garage.com and click on his shop manual. Go to Sensor testing in the 'S' section, and open it, and it shows how you can test the sensor to make sure it is working properly.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:40 PM

Is the hose coming off the big outlet on the water pump cooler than the return line (the smaller hose) that runs from the radiator to the inlet on the valve head? Let me rephrase... is the bigger hose the same temp or cooler than the small hose off the radiator? If so, its a thermostat problem (or possibly a plugged up radiator, but thats not a common problem as the side tanks usually start leaking on the raidator first). If not, it could be a number of things... let me think on this and see if I can get you some other ideas. I'd start with verifying that the car is really overheating. If its an electrical problem, particularly with grounding, the temp gauge will read incorrectly and make people think they are running hotter than they really are.

Regards,

Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 PM

i will try and check out the web and test for the gauge performace in the mean time the big hose gets hotter than the little hose so will try ,i'm very busy now because of work and kids starting to get back in school but will give feed back as soon as possible thanks again and will keep you posted .

Old 09-19-2005, 11:09 PM

oh boy it was easier than i thought.here it goes, hope i can explain right , as far as the car heating up ,it ended up that there was not emought water or coolant going through the engine and it appeared to have more than enough because i would fill her up through the reserve and what i did was open up a house on top that is connected from the radiator to the engine and left it open till i noticed it was filling while i was running a house pushing the water through enough to complete the water circle and it was done ,my baby does not get hot at all now and i left it on for a good thirty minutes. but i still can't start it with the switch but i can jump it through the starter no problems and stays on, so as far as the over heating part it was not the thermostat,water pump electrical fans, radiator ,nor it was the head gasket , but now i need to look for the answer of how to fix the starting part of it ,so far i changed the starter and it doesn't start and if it's a relay i don't know which one it would be or where to start .thanks a bunch and if you can give me some sort of direction i would appreciate it just as much. thanks and i hope we that my experience helps out someone else out there .

Old 09-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ignition switch?

Quick Reply: 1984 porche 944 wont start after it got hot