Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

85.5 will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Default 85.5 will not start.

Car has been running fine, got home , turned it off, went inside. Came out next morning and it will not crank up. It will turnover all day long or atleast until it
kills the battery...Any help would be appreciated.

I hear the fuel pump coming on, I just replaced the fuel filter, have fuel coming
out of fuel rail.. Have tapped on DME relay, have removed computer and checked
for bad solder joints, etc... Do not have a clue what is causing this.

I sprayed ether in intake and it still will not crank...I checked for spark and verified that spark is occurring at every spark plug as well as coil.

Anything I can check ????Or should I give it up, I probably would have already if it wasn't for lack of Porsche dealerships in my area...I am really in a bind and need my car running...

Old 02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Default RE: 85.5 will not start.

Did you pull the rubber plug on the front of the cam tower and see if the cam is turning? I know it'sa stretch but it's an easy check. If it isn't turning, the belt broke on shut down. Hope not. From the Haynes book: Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit and also....Broken loose or disconnected wires at the coil or faulty coil. I've had a bad coil and had spark, just not very strong and it masked the problem. You said you have fuel at the rail but is it under proper pressure? Possible fuel pressure regulator. Good luck. That's all I can come up with for now. Maybe the Doc has some other insights.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Where is the rubber plug located ?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

If the car has spark at the plugs, then the T belt is ok

Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 PM

I really dont know alot about cars, I can follow instructions which is what I have done each time so far I've had a problem, nut never had anything that could be 50 different things before....
I don't know where to look for a rubber plug to the cam....I am getting spark at the spark plugs, so I am hoping the timing is ok.....

Old 02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well lets go back to the basics. There are 3 things that enable an engine to run: Fuel, Spark, and Air.

You have spark at the plugs, so lets assume that is ok.

You have fuel at the rail, but it is possible that your injectors are not firing. A fuel pressure gauge would really be helpful to make sure you have enough pressure, and not too much. To check if the injectors are firing, you can pull the fuel rail with the injectors intact, prop it upwards or have someone hold it, and try and start the car. If the injectors spray fuel, then you know that isn't your problem. Keep it away from all sources of spark, in fact, unplug the coil from the rotor just to be sure. That is going to leave a problem with the air inlet, or AFM.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM

I tried testing the dme connector as the TPS instructions said, however when I connect the red lead to pin two and the black to ground I get the same thing a value of 1. I have the multimeter set to 200, which I assume is 200 or less ohms, the next setting up is 2K. Am I doing something wrong here.???

I am going to pull the fuel rail and check the injectors...be back in a minute...

Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 PM

I pulled the fuel rail and checked the injectors, all are fine..

Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

TPS will not keep the car from starting. Pull your distributor cap and make sure the rotor is bolted securely to the cam. I had a car this week that had a bolt back out, and the rotor was spinning out of time, though it was still producing spark at the plugs. Just at the wrong time.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 AM

Might check your J boot closely bothe ends tight and no big cracks, bigLeaks will cause the AFM to keep the car from starting. Looks like you have looked everywhere else.

Quick Reply: 85.5 will not start.