Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

86 n/a to 86 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Default 86 n/a to 86 turbo

ok ive got an 86 944 N/A and i can get ahold of an 86 turbo 944. the car has been crashed so its being parted out. what all am i going to have to pull from the car to drop the motor into my 944 and have it running? i kno the wiring harness, cpu, the eninge of course, im thinkin about pulling out the gauges or maybe ill just get some pillar gauges. anything else i need to pull?

Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 86 n/a to 86 turbo

You will need the DME, KLR, Engine, Wiring harness for the engine, Gauge Cluster, Transaxle (the gearing is much different). You will need the coolant tank, radiator, all the cooling hoses, a few heat shields, entire exhaust system, wastegate, crossover pipe, etc. Intercooler and piping. Auxillary turbo water pump. Possibly all that engine bay wiring harness that is seperate from the main harness. I am sure I will think of more. It is a huge project to do the swap.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 PM

would it be easier to drop a v8 from porsche or an lt1 into it?

Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Easier? That is a pretty in depth swap as well. I think both are going to be very time consuming, the turbo I would imagine would be quicker. An LS1 swap will run you well over 10k by the time it is all said and done.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:51 PM

its expense and time consuming because of the fast that its all fuel injected. how about if i dotn go with turbo ive got a carbed chevrolet 350 down in the garage taht i can make a project into it. i imagine that there would be some fabricating floor boards because of the tranny bolted to the engine instead of a transaxle and normal axle. sounds tough but is that right?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

An old iron block 350 is going to be incredibly heavy. The LS1 on the other hand is very similar weight wise to the 2.5 engine. For the amount of money you will spend taking out the 2.5L and putting in ANYTHING else, you might as well just sell it and buy a 944 Turbo, and then upgrade that. There are very few guys who have done major engine swaps in a 944, and for most of them, money and time was not an issue.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

You will need the DME, KLR, Engine, Wiring harness for the engine, Gauge Cluster, Transaxle (the gearing is much different). You will need the coolant tank, radiator, all the cooling hoses, a few heat shields, entire exhaust system, wastegate, crossover pipe, etc. Intercooler and piping. Auxillary turbo water pump. Possibly all that engine bay wiring harness that is seperate from the main harness. I am sure I will think of more. It is a huge project to do the swap.
Don't forget to up-grade the brakes and suspension as well!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:20 AM

its an 86, i did this swap

you need wiring harness, just the engine, the 2 computers, engine cooling tank and hoses, and intercooler and all the crap that goes with that also the exhaust like was said.

You DO NOT need, gauge cluster, the firewall wiring harness...everything fits fine into the 86, or the radiator or the electric water pump for the turbo(its a pain in the *** to add the relay and stuff) just go to home depo and buy a copper pipe and put it between 2 hoses so water runs through it and just get a turbo timer, you dont need the transaxle or the brakes or the suspension or any of that other stuff either. I'm assuming youre not trying to replicate a turbo just make the NA faster right?

The radiator is sufficient for normal use under normal temperatures meaning you'll be running the stock 12psi boost...oh and just get a boost gauge for 50 bucks. drops right into the 86, all the stuff is there for you, even the mounting points for the intercooler. Just dremil some vents in the front valance to get some air to the intercooler.