Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

88 944 Clutch Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Default 88 944 Clutch Replacement Question

Guys,

I'm in due process of replacing the clutch on my 88 944 N/A. I'm using the Clarks-Garage instructions for this, together with a plethora of four letter words, and have had success thus far. I'm on step 25, and quite honestly, I'm puzzled.

"25. Thread the long 8 mm thread bolt into the end of the release lever pivot shaft. Remove the release lever pivot shaft by holding the 8 mm bolt with a pair of pliers and tapping the pliers with a hammer or prying with a screwdriver."
Can someone please explain this to me more clearly? I know I need an 8mm x 105mm bolt (which I've yet to find anywhere), I'm just not sure what it's telling me to do with it. I'm itching to get through this project; It's getting old driving a Nissan Maxima. Much Thanks!

Brett

P.S. Where the hell can I buy a 8mm X 105mm bolt?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 88 944 Clutch Replacement Question

Ok, what you need to do is first: Remove the 13mm bolt from the bellhousing. This bolt is actually holding the clutch fork pivot pin in place in the bellhousing. Then look around for a threaded hole in the bellhousing, near the bottom drivers side. It will be at an angle slightly. This is where you are going to thread your long bolt into. The pin will just slide out towards you, but after 20 years, it can be a little stubborn. This is why a long bolt is the best, because you can screw it in the pin, clamp a visegrip under the head, and hit with a hammer on the backside of the visegrips to drive the pin towards you. The shorter your bolt, the less room you have to swing the hammer.

If you are still confused, I will go through the computer and find some pictures for you.

A slide hammer would be more ideal than a long bolt, but there isn't enough room to get one under the car, unless it is on a lift.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 AM

Dude, you are a God send! I'm still a little vague on what's going on in this process. If you could forward some pics to me, I would GREATLY appreciate it and be forever indebted to you! phillipbrettwalker@gmail.com if you can't post here. Thanks again!!!!

Brett

Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

I will post some pictures in a minute, let me work something up.....

Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, I don't have my car at the shop today, so I can't get it in the air for any better pictures, so I will use what I have from an S2, which will be the same.

1. Remove the 13mm bolt that the red arrow points to.
2. The long red line symbolizes your long 150mm bolt (or as long as you can find, I have used much shorter). There is a threaded hole in the bellhousing that the line is pointing to. If you clean the area up good, you should be able to see that it is actually a round pin with a threaded hole in the end. Thread your bolt into that hole.
3. The yellow line symbolizes a pair of visegrips. Clamp the visegrip on the end of the bolt right underneath the head (so you can't knock it off the end of the bolt). Once it is on there securely, hit the visegrips with a hammer downwards. The green line symbolizes your line of drive with the hammer. This is going to drive the pin out towards you. Once that pin is out, it will release the fork internally in the bellhousing, and you will be able to remove the bellhousing (if all your other bolts are out).

Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM

THANKS!!! I will give that a try tonight! I owe you!

Brett

Old 11-07-2006, 06:38 PM

Where would one find a bolt such as the one aforementioned?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Good question, you can go to come depot or the hardware store and try to find the longest bolt you can. I highly doubt you will be successful in finding a 150mm bolt locally.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:29 AM

Ok, I got that long *** bolt out after a good bit of swearing, two broken hammers, and a bloody knuckle. I've gotten the clutch completely taken out. There was a "chunk" of the rubber missing. I'm going to start reassembly this afternoon, and I have another question. I bought the Sachs clutch kit, and it came with quite a bit of "extra parts." Rings, spacers, etc. What/Where do those go? Also, any advice you can give for installation is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks again for your help and expertise! Do you own a store or shop that I can make a purchase from to show my gratitude?

Brett

Old 11-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

The rings and spacers are for the throwout bearing on the pressure plate. There are usually 2-3 thin spacers for the pressure plate, I usually end up using 2 of them, getting 3 in is a real bear if you don't have a hydraulic press, and even then it is a pain.

My company is Imagine Auto, www.imagineauto.com If you ever need any parts, just let me know, and I will get you prices. I can get anything.

Quick Reply: 88 944 Clutch Replacement Question