Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

is a 944 suitable for a student?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Default is a 944 suitable for a student?

Hey,

I was wondering if I should get a porsche 944, 84-88. I know theyre pretty legit on gas, 4 cylinder and all, but thats really all I know. I don't know if they give alot of problems or not =/ but my dad said their parts are really damn expensive. so would you suggest a porsche to a college student? im thinking either porsche or jetta vr6 ....

TIA!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Default RE: is a 944 suitable for a student?

If you don't have either some spare money and/or lots of spare time, don't get a 944. Even the new ones are almost 20 years old.

If you get a poorly-maintained car you'll be in above your eyeballs.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-01-2008, 04:46 PM

if you have a decent job, enought time and a place to work on it when it needs to be done, then yes. the parts arent to terribly expensive, but dont buy one if you dont plan on maitaining it. i'm a student 944 owner and it takes up a lot of my money, but it is worth it to me. i havent driven a jetta vr6 but i sincearly doubt it handles better than a 944, and it is kind of nice when people nitice the porsche emblem on the front of your car. good luck
-riker

Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM

no! i'm a student and i have an 83 944. it's sitting right now without plates not running. the guy above is right you need a lot of money and time and car knowledge or in my case friends that do. i have to get a new car for next year. my friends brother has an oldie, hes a student and even though his rich daddy's millions help he still fights to keep it on the road. just recently he lost an o2 sensor or something from going over a speed bump. get something cheap and practical and you'll still be able to go to the bar and eat ramen noodles. don't join me in this 944 hole im in. that's my advice. i have to admit though the reason ive held onto it. it's just so damn sexy. i think i like her better than my girlfriend (who i now think is an accord). good luck sir -ben

Old 02-19-2008, 06:27 AM

i would say yes, they are great on gas and pretty dependable, just dont get one with a clutch because I found out the hard way its about 3,000 bucks to put one in.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: whiplash_s

i would say yes, they are great on gas and pretty dependable, just dont get one with a clutch because I found out the hard way its about 3,000 bucks to put one in.
The problem with the auto is that it has a rubber flex plate that will come apart, and you will be spending that money anyway

Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 PM

hi, did you decide on a 944 yet? a pretty subjective topic, but I think they're great value, very practical and could even appreciate if you find the right one. I've had 4 (944, 2 turbos and a 968) and sold each one for more than I paid for it. The key is getting one with all the maint. history and documentation. They do have their quirks which are well documented on the internet, but most problems come from inept servicing. You didn't mention a price range, but if you can spend $7-10k and budget $1k/yr for maintenance, you'll have a great car, for 1/2 price of a 4 year old econobox. Try to buy the most expensive/best one you can afford and find a good Porsche shop that knows the 944, not just 911's, before you buy. Bargain and Porsche don't belong in the same sentence. good luck,
PeterA

Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM

My 944 2.7 is my absolute pride & joy, but there's faster and cheaper around. So far I've had two radiatior hoses go (at £45 a pop- but one was because a muppet installed it) and a leak from the power steering rack (currently unresolved). Not bad for a 19 year old car that still beats the pants off anything I've ever driven.

Gas mileage isn't great, about 25-30 mpg, and the boot (tailgate if you're American) is the stupidest piece of design Porsche have ever come up with, but I wouldn't part with mine for anything. Plus you can pick up classic car insurance for next to nothing, depreciation is practically non-existent. You need to want to get involved with the car, though, it's not like a Vectra where you just leave it to its own devices.

Hope this helps ;-)

Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Hi in 1966 I ran a 3.8 XKE as a student,followed bya few other interesting cars. If you like messing arround with cars and dont mind working on them yourself which I did(Note the girls liked the cars but not mygrimy hands when helping them to do a bit of stripping down I have to say!)then its a possible thing.
The other guys have given you some feedback on specific 944 issues. However when you take on an older car, it cannot be your only means of transport, so think hard first, and spend your money secondly.
Regards Big Bob

Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM

Depends on your budget, the condition of the car, etc. The Jetta can cost as much if not more. I bought my son a Jetta and it was a money pit. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is a 944 suitable for a student?